PeterJ

AF 2012, .Net 4.0 and ProcessBook

Discussion created by PeterJ on Oct 2, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 by Guilherme Ferreira

Normal   0           false   false   false     EN-GB   X-NONE   X-NONE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

I have developed a Data Reference using "Rich Data Access"  (RDA) under the pre-release version of AF2012:

Just playing around really; (that is,"researching future technologies", if there are any managers reading )

It works very nicely and it is great to get rid of "COM" interop.

I get the impression it is a bit slower than PI-SDK access, at least in the CTP version. Is this as expected?

The PI_SDK has been optimised over ten+ years, so I'm not surprising that if it outperforms the first release of RDA. I remember the first release of the PI-SDK was slower than the old API.

Now, the Down-side:

To use RDA, the assembly has to be compiled under .net 4.0 - which means of course that ProcessBook, being a .net 3.5 application, cannot (normally) load it.

This leads to a series of questions:

When will we get a supported .net 4.0 ProcessBook?

How do we work around this limitation? AF 2012 has 2 versions of the Pi-point DR - one .net 3.5 and one .net 4.0 .- Processbook loads the .net 3.5 version and continues to work fine:  How would you go about doing the same for a custom DR ?  Does this require any "trickery" with Regplugin?  What about support assemblies?

Finally, It IS, of course, possible to get  the existing ProcessBook 3.3.0.949 to use  .net 4.0 :
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this -  Maybe  I missed it in my search.

All that is needed is to add the following  to the config section of "procbook.exe.config" :

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>

<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>

</startup>

If I do this  ProcessBook loads my .net 4.0 Data-Reference and happily displays the data.

I not suggesting that anyone does this in a production environment, but it is very useful for testing.

Outcomes