AnsweredAssumed Answered

EFFICIENCY OF PI DATA LINK - CALCULATIONS IN EXCEL

Question asked by Omar_Sanchez_TOYOTA on Feb 13, 2020
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2020 by Omar_Sanchez_TOYOTA

Dear members,

I would like to ask you for a problem regarding the efficiency of calculations in some excel worksheets. There are several Tags which are retrieving data through PI Data Link and they are shown in a big size workbook. This excel workbook has several sheets with calculations and links to different Tags, and all the data coming from PI Data Archive, are based on TimeStamps during the whole weekend, every minute, I mean, there are several Tags (columns) and several Timestamps(rows). So, when I try to modify something, or just copy a table, group of rows / columns from the big excel file to another empty or partially empty excel file, it takes me a lot of time. It always appears underneath the excel file a message like “Calculating (8 Threads) = … % And it is recalculating so slowly, even there is nothing to recalculate.

I think my computer is efficient enough to support a lot of calculations (Lenovo – Intel Core i5 8th Gen – 1.70 GHz 1.90 GHz – 8 GB of RAM – 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor).

I am aware of there are a lot of Timestamps but, is there a way to avoid a recalculation every modification? Because it is drawing out my work every day.

The target of my excel analysis is to do it fully in PI System, through Element Analysis. But realistically, nowadays it is a bit complex to implement the total calculation process, it needs a step by step process, so I need this intermediate step in excel. There is any way to improve the performance?

Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks for your support,

Regards,

OMAR.

Outcomes