9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2012 8:59 AM by gsauer

PI AF server 2010 R3 installation problem

gsauer

Just paid my vCampus subscription  (have never seen nor touch a PI installation before), started downloading the different software packages.

Brand new installation of Windows 2008 R2 (X64), Installed MSOffice 2010, Installed MSVS 2012, running as Administrator.

Ran the OSIprerequistes-standalone_2_0_0_10_.exe (no problem)

Then tried running AFServerWithEventFrames_2010R3_.exe:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup (installed)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client (skipped) due to unsupported OS

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client  (installed) same or newer version already installed

PI AF Server 2010 R3  fails due to SQL server connection failed.  (Tried both sqlexpress and default instance(=blank field)) with following message:

[ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbmslpcn]SQL server does not exist or access denied.

Hopefully Windows 2008 and MSVS 2012 are supported?  Maybe there is another prerequisite that I don't know about

• Re: PI AF server 2010 R3 installation problem
          pcombellick

George,

Welcome to vCampus!  Take a look at this thread:

vcampus.osisoft.com/.../18756.aspx

Regards,

Paul

AF Dev

Nick D'Orazio

FYI: Windows Server 2008 R2, 64 bit, is listed as supported in the PI AF 2010 R3 Installation Guide in the System Requirements section.  And I have seen nothing that suggest Microsoft Visual Studion 2012 would interfere.

gsauer

So far my intro to OSI-PI has been a little disappointing.

I had not installed MS SQL 2012 specifically and had no SSMS tool to configure the SYSadmin account as suggested by Paul above.  However I observed that the MSVS 2012 installation had done so.  Googled and found that there is a "SqlLocalDB.exe" utility which I tried using.  Didn't really help; or atleast nothing I did helped I still got the error message I reported above.  While writing this I am in the process of uninstalling everything related to MSVC 2012 (including all Microsoft SQL Server 2012 installed programs).

Well that didn't help either; next step Reinstall Window 2008 R2, 64 bit......(glad I've atleast got all the downloads done)

This exactly what I have done:

Scratched the disk, new Windows 2008 R2 64bit, activated the OS with Microsoft, corrected screen resolution, added "application role" to server (for .NET Framework 3.5.1 support), ran the OSIprerequisites-standalone_2_0_0_10 (no error messages), ran the AFServerWithEventFrames_2010R3 fails during step 4 (PI AF Server 2010 R3 installation)  with same message I have reported above. Note step 3.  Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client (x64) reports being installed correctly.

Last message in the log file is "InstallThread Error 1602. Installation of AF Server with Event Frames R3 has failed."  due probably to the fact that the installation was canceled by me after trying to connect to local Microsoft SQL Server instance which is supposed to host the AF SQL Database.  (Trying both "sqlexpress" and blank.

MY CONCLUSION IS THE AFServerWithEventFrames_2010R3_.EXE installation package on the download site is defective.  Is there a previous version available?

Downloaded the prerelease version of the AF Server 2012, tried installing it and basically got the same results except the error message was more explainitory.  Tried the ODBC database Administrator and found the real cause of my problems.

Downloaded the free SQLExpress from Microsoft; installed it; ran the AFServerWithEventFrames_2010R3 application again; Got a little further along - now the installation script says it can't CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.  I guess I'm going to have to learn somethings about administering Microsoft SQL before I can install PI.

My biggest disappointment was that the OSIprerequisites-standalone_2_0_0_10 application mentioned nothing about having Microsoft SQL preinstalled.  It is even more confusing that it seems the AF Server installation seemingly does a SQL native client installation.

Basically 2 days down the drain, but I guess that is part of the learning experience........ 

mhamel

@George: Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 installs a SQL Server Express local database that is a lightweight version of SQL Server. This version of SQL Server is not supported for installing the PI AF Server 2010 R3. You will need to install minimally a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express edition (or more like the standard, enterprise or data center edition). Your installation should run smoothly afterward.

Let me know if that helped.

gsauer

I have again started from scratch, new Windows installation.

1) Pre-requisite

2) Pre-requisite patch

3) Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express (660MB)

4) I still can not install the AF SERVER 2010 r3,  error message is clear:

[Microsoft]ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

Problem is I don't know which account or how to fix this in using the Server Management Studio.

Well atleast my weekend starts now...........  

Hello George,

I believe that I experienced similar recently. I was successful installing PI AF Server without the database content and later using go.bat. I found the go.bat in the 64 bit PIHOME (environment variable PIHOME64) under  \AF\SQL\

pcombellick

George,

Tech Support can help you with this issue.  

However, you likely have SQL Server 2012 running on the same machine as the install kit.  And the account that runs the MSI install exec, does not have sufficient privilege to SQL Server.  In SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio), grant the SYSTEM login the "SysAdmin" privilege before you start the AF Server install and remove it after the AF Server install is complete.

Alternatively, you can manually run the AF SQL scripts from an account that has the SysAdmin privilege.

Note:  the AF Server service should NEVER be granted SysAdmin privilege and make sure that your SQL Server database engine service is not configured to run as an account with local or domain admin privileges.

Regards,

Paul

AF Dev