mikeloria

PI Notification Delivery Channel to Database Table

Discussion created by mikeloria on Nov 8, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 by Mike Zboray

How can I take a notification event and write results to an Oracle database? 

One solution I am considering is to create a custom delivery channel that makes a call to a web service for a notification when it triggers. I will have multiple notifications using the same channel so it will need to be able to identify itself (which notification). I would also like to send the current values of a number of attributes from different elements in this web service call

I am not sure how to accomplish this so any example or advise is greatly appreciated.

Here is some info on what I need to achieve and why

Requirement Detail

I have a requirement to monitor particular PI tags and determining when the value falls outside of a range. I need to create a record in an Oracle database with the beginning and end time that the value fell out of range and then fell back in again plus I will gather other PI data as well for the event. I already plan to use AF to set up elements with the min/max values and use an enumerated formula to determine the state (normal, out of range high, out of range low,...)

I was first considering writing a standalone process to monitor each element but would really like to leverage PI Notifications. 

Basically, my question is:

What is the best way to write the results of a number of tags to an oracle table record on a PI notification trigger? I am thinking that somehow I would have a delivery channel write to a web service. Does anyone else have any suggestions of solving this? Maybe even something outside of notifications if there is a more feasible way? I was ruling out event frames for this because we are using some standard report making tools ad also will be forming relationships with this table against existing tables.

Also, if a web call is the best solution, I would greatly appreciate an example or any examples for other ideas.

I greatly appreciate any and all help in this

Thank You

Outcomes