rdavin

vCampus Live 2012 was a winner

Discussion created by rdavin Employee on Dec 11, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 by Robert Raesemann

I haven’t seen too many postings about vCampus Live 2012! I know I said it to many at the wrap up party, but I think it was the best out of the 4 that I have attended. Congrats to OSIsoft and the vCampus team for hosting a good event. I like the format of having 1–2 hours of special speakers and then splitting off into many hands-on sessions. VCL 2011 tried to do this but was rocky in its execution. I don’t think the double hopping VM’s was bad (after all, we are PI admins and we’re supposed to be smart) but I think 150+ users hitting the cloud all at once caused a hiccup.

Two recommendations I made last year were implemented. One was an experience/skill designator on the hands-on sessions. VCL 2012’s implementation of this went well. I also suggested the idea of some sort of wrap up talk and after party. Though he was booked for an hour, I think Jon Peterson did it best to limit the wrap up to less than 25 minutes. The after party gave attendees a chance to wrap up on previous days discussions, and to give immediate feedback to the vCampus team.

All in all, VCL 2012 had the right amount of presentations and hands-on sessions. VoxPop is always popular and the Hackathons seemed to be a welcome addition.

Congrats also to the 2012 All-Stars of Rhys Kirk, Lonnie Bowling, and Michael Halhead. I look forward to reading your posts in 2013.

Congrats not just to the winners but to all the participants in the Hackathons. I don’t imagine I will ever participate due to my love of sleep, but I eagerly followed the presentations and hope to see Hackathons again. I think it’s good for the community.

My summation of vCampus Live 2012: I definitely think it was bigger, better, and brainier!

Outcomes