11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 5:01 AM by Robert Raesemann

vCampus Live 2012 was a winner

Rick Davin

I haven’t seen too many postings about vCampus Live 2012! I know I said it to many at the wrap up party, but I think it was the best out of the 4 that I have attended. Congrats to OSIsoft and the vCampus team for hosting a good event. I like the format of having 1–2 hours of special speakers and then splitting off into many hands-on sessions. VCL 2011 tried to do this but was rocky in its execution. I don’t think the double hopping VM’s was bad (after all, we are PI admins and we’re supposed to be smart) but I think 150+ users hitting the cloud all at once caused a hiccup.

Two recommendations I made last year were implemented. One was an experience/skill designator on the hands-on sessions. VCL 2012’s implementation of this went well. I also suggested the idea of some sort of wrap up talk and after party. Though he was booked for an hour, I think Jon Peterson did it best to limit the wrap up to less than 25 minutes. The after party gave attendees a chance to wrap up on previous days discussions, and to give immediate feedback to the vCampus team.

All in all, VCL 2012 had the right amount of presentations and hands-on sessions. VoxPop is always popular and the Hackathons seemed to be a welcome addition.

Congrats also to the 2012 All-Stars of Rhys Kirk, Lonnie Bowling, and Michael Halhead. I look forward to reading your posts in 2013.

Congrats not just to the winners but to all the participants in the Hackathons. I don’t imagine I will ever participate due to my love of sleep, but I eagerly followed the presentations and hope to see Hackathons again. I think it’s good for the community.

My summation of vCampus Live 2012: I definitely think it was bigger, better, and brainier!

• Re: vCampus Live 2012 was a winner
          Asle Frantzen

I agree that the format of the event is good, and I also like that our recommendations have been implemented from year to year. I never had any problems with the VM's although I heard others had.

The after party was probably the best new feature of the year, it gave us a chance to catch up with all the people you didn't get to talk to during the two days.

Even though there were more than enough chances of winning the infamous Surface tablet, the reality is that most of us did not win one. I'm in a situation where I have a tablet (iPad) so I don't exactly need a new one, but if Microsoft happened to give discounts to vCampus attendees and would have sold them at their demo stand, I might have purchased one. And I assume other tech-geeks also would have considered that. So that's maybe something to consider at later events if some new technology or product is featured.

Rick Davin

Not a bad idea for possible discounts, but that would be up to Microsoft.  I really wanted to win a Surface and even attended 7 hands-on sessions hoping to nab one.  If I had won on the first day, I probably would have attended a few presentations.  The last hands-on session I was in had 13 students with 7 ineligible since they already won.  Yet I still walked away a loser.  But ... there is the thrill of rolling the dice and hoping for a win.

Asle Frantzen

Rick Davin

Not a bad idea for possible discounts, but that would be up to Microsoft.  I really wanted to win a Surface and even attended 7 hands-on sessions hoping to nab one.  If I had won on the first day, I probably would have attended a few presentations.  The last hands-on session I was in had 13 students with 7 ineligible since they already won.  Yet I still walked away a loser.  But ... there is the thrill of rolling the dice and hoping for a win.

100% discount gift certificates to the winners of each session, and maybe some other percentage for everyone else. And then the Microsoft stand could be open for business 2nd half of day two.

I also try to attend more hands-on sessions, since the presentations are being video recorded and can be watched at home. I did that last year as well, more bang for the bucks really. But I don't see why they didn't give out prizes at the presentation sessions as well. If more people think like me, those sessions would suffer low attendance.

Rhys - it's in December, coming up in a day or two :)

Rick Davin

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

But I don't see why they didn't give out prizes at the presentation sessions as well. If more people think like me, those sessions would suffer low attendance.

That's an utterly shallow admission on your part, Asle, and frankly its one that I can respect.  I had an idle slot in my schedule and went trolling for a class to attend.  I didn't worry about topic or skill level ... my concern was headcount.  The fewer the heads gave me a higher chance at winning.  That said, the presentations aren't as limited as the hands-on sessions so instead of at worst a 1-in-39 chance of winning in a hands-on session, you may have a 1-in-50 chance in a presentation.

Joking aside (or was I?) it also boiled down to knowing that the presentations will eventually be available online.  Yes, the hands-on sessions are online too but why not be hands-on while the Live! teacher and assistants are at your disposal.

Ahmad Fattahi

Great discussion guys please keep going! I wish others joined as well. It's interesting to see how "Microsoft Surfaces" kind of became the pillar in the whole thread!

It's great to hear you guys liked the event. And yes, we always listen to implement the ideas you want next year.

By the way, the presentations session didn't suffer attendance at all despite fierce competition from Surfaces in the hands-on sessions. If the topic is attractive, it is also very different to hear it live and ask questions in a presentation; the same way as in the hands-on sessions.

Rick, Asle and Rhys,

Please allow me joining Ahmad to thank you for this great feedback. Please continue sharing your thoughts. 

Rick Davin

I think 150+ users hitting the cloud all at once caused a hiccup

I am aware of a single session at day # 1 that was suffering poor performance. Mathieu started investigating immediately and recognized a high load on the jump point that was assigned to the lab. Since he was well prepared, he was able to exchange the jump point within a few minutes and we asked attendees who were experiencing poor performance, to disconnect and to try again. Based on the lesson learned, Mathieu increased CPU and memory resources of all jump points used for the following sessions and we didn't see more hiccups since.

Thank you Mathieu for designing, setting up and maintaining the vCampus Live! 2012 cloud. Great job!

Gregor

Maybe it wasn't advertised as it should have been (and maybe the Microsoft guys were too quiet), but there actually was a table with Microsoft devices to play with, in the Developers Lounge... and they did offer a "Family and Friends" discount.

Sorry, not "Microsoft devices"... "Windows 8 devices, including the Microsoft Surface tablet"

Asle Frantzen

I think the "exhibit" (or whatever you want to call it) in the developers lounge didn't have the best structure I've seen, to put it that way. I was told that certain companies would have product demo's / stands, etc. in the developers lounge, but neither of them had advertising so you'd know who they were and what they did (I recognized Microsoft though, but still...). They just stood around the different OSIsoft technology signs in small groups, and you didn't know if this was a demo or just a random group of people having a private discussion.

So that would be something I'd want to see changed for the events to come. Another critisism would be the same thing we experienced during the 2009 event with the roundtable talks - they were held in a large, noisy place and it was difficult to hear each other. That was fixed in 2010 and 2011, but in the new hotell (which was great, though) history seemed to repeat itself. Especially the voxpop for abacus, which was held in the lunch area, suffered.

Robert Raesemann

This was definitely the best vCampus yet. The Hackathons were a great addition. The virtual environments were pretty spectacular. I spoke to Andreas during lunch about some of the technical details involved with the cloud environment and the communications infrastructure that you put together, and it sounds extremely impressive.

I'd really like to encourage you guys to put together a white paper describing how you pulled it off and some of the challenges that you had to overcome. I think that it would be a good marketing device. vCampus Live is a top quality experience and you really go the extra mile to do it right. I don't think that a lot of people realize what they are missing.

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

but if Microsoft happened to give discounts to vCampus attendees and would have sold them at their demo stand, I might have purchased one. And I assume other tech-geeks also would have considered that. So that's maybe something to consider at later events if some new technology or product is featured.

I agree with this.  It would be another nice perk of attending in person to the event (although my wife used the Macy's discount voucher within hours of me registering...).  Asle would have had some extra $'s to spend too, I only learned this week that folks in Norway only pay half the regular tax in November so they have some money available for buying presents right before Christmas!   Neat. I need to write to 10 Downing Street...