11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 11:01 PM by Robert Raesemann

New Years Resolutions for the PI Geek

Robert Raesemann

It is that time of year, and I've been giving some thought to goals that I should set to become a better PI Geek in 2013. I'm interested in the thoughts and ideas of other vCampus members, so please chip in.

1. Powershell for PI - I started using using Powershell in one of my projects where I have to deploy updates to a Windows service that I developed to 7 servers. Going to each server to stop the service, copy the new files, and then restart the service took forever. I developed a script that I can run from one machine that stops the service on each machine, copies all of the new files, and then restarts. This has been great because it only takes a few minutes to deploy an update. I haven't really spent much time with the Powershell for PI. I'm going to make a resolution to  actively seek out opportunities to script and automate things using Powershell. No self-respecting PI Geek should ever be caught clicking through a GUI to do a bunch of repetitive tasks that can be automated.
      2. Security - The Hackathon really inspired me to spend some more time thinking about how I prepare myself to build secure systems and troubleshoot issues. I know what ARP cache poisoning is, but I had never actually experienced it. When our system was attacked using this technique, it did not occur to me what had happened. Knowing conceptually about something and actually experiencing it are two different things. The lesson that I learned from the Hackathon is that it is important to have this type of hands-on, real-time challenge. I'm going to seek out opportunities to participate in these types of challenges and encourage my clients to do the same.
      3. LINQ - I really spend a good bit of time learning LINQ this year. It has been pretty powerful and I'm getting better at the functional approach, but I still don't feel like I'm really good at it yet. LINQ doesn't necessarily apply directly to PI, but I think that it is a good tool/skill to be developing, and I'm going to resolve to keep building this skill base.
      4. REST and oData - Last year, one of my goals was to learn to program for the iPad. I ended up doing a lot of work in the Web Services/SOAP area trying to get PI data to the iPad using PI Web Services. SOAP isn't the easiest thing to do on the iPad, certainly not like it is with C# and Visual Studio. I also built some REST services using WCF, but there is always more to learn. This will be another area of study. I was excited in Steve Pilon's session about REST that I will have the opportunity to combine items 3&4. Hey Steve, hurry up and get a beta posted on vCampus.
      That's all i have right now. Anybody have any other thoughts or suggestions.
        • Re: New Years Resolutions for the PI Geek
          aabrodskiy

Excellent goals, I was thinking along the same lines for the next year, starting from the #4 as the top priority and going upwards in your list.

I will add HTML5 to my list of goals as well., or HTML6 if time flies too fast next year

Rick Davin

Agree to excellent goals.  I'd just have REST at the top of the list.  Security and hacking is way out of my league.  LINQ is more of mindset change for me; I'm decent with SQL queries, and decent processing .NET collections but what I need to do embrace LINQ is to think more SQL like when working with .NET collections instead of jumping on the old foreach bandwagon.  

My brain can only do so much in a year, and if I add too many items to a wishlist, none of them will get done.  That said, I'd like to learn more about multi-threading.  Chris Manhard had excellent example of System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.For at VCL 2012.

@Rob, great topic!  @Alex, missed seeing you at VCL.

aabrodskiy

Rick - agree completely, I have long been afraid of learning LINQ as it's a mindset change for the SQL-lover like I am.

Though having come across a few elegant examples of LINQ in .Net collections, I feel the need to learn more on that. It is particularly helpful when working with PI AF, which is all based on collections.

My current project's schedule did not allow for a week off this time, had to miss this year's vCampus Live and regret it a lot.

It seems you guys had a lot of fun and the event was great! Hope to see you all next year, either at the UC or vCampus Live 2013.

Lonnie Bowling

@Alex Yes, I missed you this year!  I how it is, you will have to be sure to attend the next one, and don't forget the hackathon.  I'm regretting not doing it.

BTW HTML5 is still not finished and according to wikipedia the standard will be finalized in 2014.  Unlike other technologies, web standards are dirt slow.  HTML4 was started in 1997.  So you have time :)  (but the reality is that HTML5 is in heavy use and widely supported in most newer browser, so much for waiting for the standard)

Great thread Rob.

I'm pretty much focused on security because after participating in the programming hackathon this year I want to do the security hackathon next year.  I'm lining up some ethical hacking, penetration testing and mobile security (BYOD, OAuth, ...) areas to get trained up in.  I am going down the HDInsight (Hadoop) route too.

Powershell and OData are on my list although I get the impression they will be kind of quick to pick up.

For "fun" I want to look at some functional programming like F#.

Robert Raesemann

Hold a spot for me on your hackathon team. The new XBox should be out in time for next year's vCampus, and you have a pretty good track record. :)

For everyone who has expressed an interest in LINQ and functional programming, I would recommend taking a look at LinqPad. I've been using it quite a bit lately and it is really nice for prototyping and experimenting.

It's great to all see this interest about REST web services, OData, LINQ, etc. It is much different than just a year or two ago!! For the first time this year at vCampus Live!, people were coming to me to talk about REST and OData - not the other way aroud :D Rest assured (no pun intended) OSIsoft is sensitive to that and will do its very best to deliver RESTful functionality in the best delays - you guys, here on vCampus, are in the best seat to get priority access to whatever gets delivered ;)

Robert Raesemann

Hold a spot for me on your hackathon team. The new XBox should be out in time for next year's vCampus, and you have a pretty good track record. :)

Done, your spot is reserved. 

The rate that the Kinect SDK has been improving means that next XBox (XBox8, XBox Infinity, XBob 720, or whatever the leaks tells us) is going to be great for controller-less gaming.  Excited to see how they far they push the use of natural gestures.