Basavakumar_Jigalur

Setting up precision of the output value in AF Expression Analysis

Discussion created by Basavakumar_Jigalur on Nov 2, 2020
Latest reply on Nov 3, 2020 by Rick_Davin_3.0

Hello Team,

Good day !!

I have observed a strange behavior of System Explorer in designing analysis. Details are as below.

You can see in below snip that the ‘Input Value’ attribute has the value with 6 decimal values (Figure 1).

Figure 1: attribute value with 6 decimals

When we multiply this attribute value with 100 the output should have been 30383.1543 but surprisingly the output value does not contain any decimal values as shown in below snip(Figure 2, Variable 1)

Figure 2: Analysis

Then, I tried some analysis functions like format(converts float values to string with required number of decimals as used in variable 2) and float functions (convert string into float back decimals as used in variable 3).

Unfortunately, while converting string back to float(Variable 3), it again gave me just 2 decimal values though it has many decimals further(variable 2 output).

However, we can achieve as many as decimals we want in the output by mapping the output attribute and making the display digits negatively bigger number till -20, but this would not be an ideal approach. We cant have every single variable mapped to an attribute unnecessarily.

Not sure if this is the limitation of System Explorer.

Current version used : PI System Explorer 2018 SP3

Request you kindly to let me know if you have any better approach in achieving the above requirement.

Best Regards,

Basavakumar Jigalur

Outcomes