7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 1:31 PM by rmeyskens

Coresight wishlist

AlistairFrith

We are playing with coresight in an attempt to fully understand its abilities and one of the things we are trying to do is to see how viable it is as an alternative to Processbook and PIWebParts. To this end, we are trying to produce a Coresight equivalent to a system we produced in ProcessBook / ActiveView for a customer a few years ago.

Here is a brief overview of the system we developed:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The customer has many sites, each of which monitors a subset of around 20 KPIs (all calculated by ACE from lots of raw plant measurements and stored in PI). Each KPI has the following tags:

• The basic value 
      • a severity indicating how far into KPI's Green, Amber or Red regions that KPI value is. The regions are defined per KPI and per site. The severity ranges from 0 (bang on the target value) through to 3 (at or beyond the far edge of the red)

Each site also has summary information tags:

• The number of KPIs that are in Red, Amber and Green states  at the site
      • A 'weighted total' calculated by <KPI Severity> * <KPI Weighting> * <Site Weighting>
      • Position of the site's wighted total within a league table of all the sites

Each KPI has summary information tags:

• The average value across all the sites
      • The smallest value across all sites
      • The largest value across all sites 
      • Numbers of sites in Red, Amber and Green for the KPI

We effectvely have 3 main PB displays that we would like to produce equivelants of in Coresight:

• A Site Detail Display showing every KPI at a single site. Each kpi is a row showing:
        • <KPI Name> <mini-trend> <Value in a horizontal bar with thresholds indicated> <Severity in a multistate value>
      • A KPI Detail Display showing a single KPI across multiple sites. Each site is a row showing:
        • <SiteName> <mini-trend> <Value in a horizontal bar with thresholds indicated> <Severity in a multistate value>
      • A Summary display showing two tables:
        • A KPI Summary with each row showing summary information for a single KPI:
          • <KPI Name> <bar showing average, min and max and marked with thresholds> <Values showing number of sites in Red/Amber/Green>
        • A Site Summary with each row showing summary information for a single Site:
          • <Site Name> <Values showing number of KPIS in Red/Amber/Green> <Values showing Weighted Total and League Position>

Clicking on a site name or a kpi name anywhere would take the user to the Site or KPI Detail Display and there was an 'up' button going back to the Summary display. There was lots of VBA behind the interactive elements of these displays, for example each of these tables was sortable so clicking on a table column header would sort the table by that column. The sorting would be dynamic so it would re-sort in the Display_DataUpdate() handler.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is all tables, values and bars, and all very 'unitised', we thought Coresight might do this quite well and look much fresher than the dated Processbook displays we had. Sadly, we have encountered what we believe to be several shortcomings of Coresight.

1. Coresight tables will show information from a single AF attribute on each line, we needed several attributes: a name, a PI tag in a horisontal bar and several other PI Tags as simple values. Are there any plans to make generic 'container' tables in Coresight, to which multiple attributes can be added and individually configured so each table row can show individual attributes of a different asset?
      2. The Coresight visual elements take up too much screen space: Bars and Values have headers that are not needed and distract from the actual data. Are there plans to allow significant customisation of these elements?
      3. None of the coresight visual elements can be 'multi-state'. Are there plans to implement this?
      4. The coresight elements are all fixed aspect-ratio. Are there plans to allow changing the width or height of element? Longer site or KPI names appear in a smaller font instead of stretching the 'column' that the element is in.
      5. Coresight will stretch or shrink elements to ensure that they all fit on the screen. Are there plans to change this? With 20 KPIs, the elements ended up so small that none of the values could be seen! If point '1' is implemented then table-sorting would allow the most important sites/KPIs to always be visible.
      6. It is not possible to place anything next to a table or a trend, only above or below it. Will this be changed?

Having said all that, Coresight is very pretty and does look promising. It might be great for ad-hoc investigations but I just don't think it is flexible and adaptable enough yet to actually produce a usable system of displays.

--- Alistair.

• Re: Coresight wishlist

Alistair Frith

Since this is all tables, values and bars, and all very 'unitised', we thought Coresight might do this quite well and look much fresher than the dated Processbook displays we had. Sadly, we have encountered what we believe to be several shortcomings of Coresight.

1. Coresight tables will show information from a single AF attribute on each line, we needed several attributes: a name, a PI tag in a horisontal bar and several other PI Tags as simple values. Are there any plans to make generic 'container' tables in Coresight, to which multiple attributes can be added and individually configured so each table row can show individual attributes of a different asset?
          2. The Coresight visual elements take up too much screen space: Bars and Values have headers that are not needed and distract from the actual data. Are there plans to allow significant customisation of these elements?
          3. None of the coresight visual elements can be 'multi-state'. Are there plans to implement this?
          4. The coresight elements are all fixed aspect-ratio. Are there plans to allow changing the width or height of element? Longer site or KPI names appear in a smaller font instead of stretching the 'column' that the element is in.
          5. Coresight will stretch or shrink elements to ensure that they all fit on the screen. Are there plans to change this? With 20 KPIs, the elements ended up so small that none of the values could be seen! If point '1' is implemented then table-sorting would allow the most important sites/KPIs to always be visible.
          6. It is not possible to place anything next to a table or a trend, only above or below it. Will this be changed?

I'll answer a couple of these seen as though I've asked in the past the same items (and to serve as a bump to the thread).

2. It is annoying that in CoreSight 2012 R2 you can change the Symbol title but when you click on it to change it, it doesn't show the whole name and you have to scroll to see it bit by bit.

3.  I believe this is on the way.  Not seen which release though.

4.  I would love this too.  Think of the Windows 8 home screen where some tiles are more prominent than others to give focus, would be nice to be able to change size of an element depending on values much like multi-stating.

5. Probably will be introduced when ProcessBook displays can be hosted in CoreSight, otherwise big displays are not going to render well.

6.  Talked about absolute position in the past and OSIsoft said it was being considered IIRC.

I would add a number 7 that UOM manipulation is a huge must for better adoption.

tlebay

Thanks for adding to the conversation Rhys, and I apologize for my slow response.  I will try to give as clear information as I can.  We have plans for most of the areas touched on in your request, but in several cases the timing and specifics of a feature are still unclear.  As Rhys implied we are working on the ability to view ProcessBook displays using PI Coresight.  This is actually the main priority for the next PI Coresight server release (unless you also count all of the work going on to support mobile devices).  :-)

When viewing ProcessBook displays from PI Coresight we have chosen to use HTML5 and Jscript as the underlying technology instead of Silverlight.  We are planning to make the same technology shift with native PI Coresight displays in a following release.  There are many reasons for us to make this shift but one of the main ones is the ability to support mobile device browsers.

I will attempt to answer each of your specific questions, but I wanted to make you aware of this underlying technology shift and the major new feature of viewing ProcessBook displays in a web browser.

1. Internally we refer to this as a related asset table.  This is something we plan to support in the future, though probably not until we make the shift off of Silverlight.
              2. We want to keep PI Coresight symbols fast and easy to use with minimal configuration so I don't expect that we will deliver what you are asking for here.  However, with the ability to view ProcessBook displays you can deliver displays on the web with more visual control.  In the longer term we also expect to support other HTML5 visual objects, so you could add you own objects to a display.
              3. The short term answer will be to use multi-state provided in ProcessBook displays.  Longer term we would like to use multi-states based on an AF configuration.
              4. Short term making use of a ProcessBook display is your best bet.  I like Rhys's analogy to Windows 8 tiles.  We introduced a new symbol sizing concept with the introduction of PI Coresight for the iPad.  On the iPad symbols don't resize, yet, but we plan to add discrete sizes in a future release (small, medium, large?) rather than infinitely scaling (like the browser version currently does).  Each size would show a varying degree of information or detail as the size permits, very much like the Windows 8 tiles do.
              5. I think this is covered by the response to item 4.
              6. In PI Coresight 2012 R2 you can now place multiple tables on a row.  We did not allow multiple trends on a row because of the relationship between a trend and the time bar.

philco

Tom LeBay

When viewing ProcessBook displays from PI Coresight we have chosen to use HTML5 and Jscript as the underlying technology instead of Silverlight.  We are planning to make the same technology shift with native PI Coresight displays in a following release.

I suppose the display will change a lot considering the technology switch from Silverlight to HTML5. I kinda like the look of this version, hope it won't change dramatically.

And although it is sometimes frustrating I like the simplicity of Coresight. If you add too much configuration, there's a risk of loosing that. I think Coresight is meant for ad hoc trends first and foremost. So you shouldn't need too many bells and whistles!

tlebay

Thanks for that comment Philippe. I agree. We are doing our best to preserve the simplicity and ease of use of PI Coresight. With the ability to view ProcessBook displays we hope to satisfy the need for more detailed configurations and display authoring. I think the ability to view highly configured "monitoring" displays and then quickly move to adhoc investigation is going to be really powerful.

So you might ask; if we are not going to add lots of configuration options to PI Coresight displays what are we going to do? From the beginning we have billed PI Coresight as an adhoc analysis tool, but we are still pretty weak on the analytic part. So that's where I think you will see PI Coresight begin to evolve more in the future.  We will emphasis new analytic features instead of reproducing display features that already exist in ProcessBook.

Tom LeBay

When viewing ProcessBook displays from PI Coresight we have chosen to use HTML5 and Jscript as the underlying technology instead of Silverlight.  We are planning to make the same technology shift with native PI Coresight displays in a following release.  There are many reasons for us to make this shift but one of the main ones is the ability to support mobile device browsers.

Do you know how exciting it is to be able to host ProcessBook displays in CoreSight...very!  For example, right now I have some awesome monitoring displays in ProcessBook but the majority of users only need to view the displays & data.  I don't even want them to use have ProcessBook installed.  Right now they need to have it installed but if we had this feature in CoreSight right now I would be using it more than CoreSight itself.  I know it is early days but will VBA code in the background (or equivalent) be supported?  For example, I may want to change the tag used to multistate one symbol based on the multistate of another.

On the analytic side of CoreSight, it would be nice to do some simple calculations/averages/etc.  Example, when I view a trend of the last day for a tag in CoreSight and select the average then I don't really want the daily average but I quickly want to see the hourly averages over the course of the day.

Another example would be quickly dropping the sum of > 1 tag: you search for your attributes or tags, select 3 of them whilst holding down ctrl then drag all three on to the display canvas.  You get the usual symbol options but an additional "Dynamic Calculation" Symbol that presents a further configuration screen where you select calculation type etc Now ideally this would be a dynamic Abacus calculation attribute that is only alive when there is a client viewing the symbol.  Being a dynamic Abacus symbol CoreSight doesn't have to reinvent calculations or add another calculation option, just inherit what Abacus offers.

rmeyskens

I would like to see more administrative features added in Coresight:

• Abiliity to manage displays from all users on a display by display basis. (Delete displays that were made public, or make them private, etc)
                          • Create a folder or label sheme to easily organize displays, rather than being sorted by last display accessed.
                          • Share a display with a group of users, not all Coresight users.

Other features I woudl like to see:

• Configurable pen colours
                          •  a "strip chart" type trend
                          • Abiliity to have calculations/PI expressions displayed as a value. Average, totals, sums, etc

philco

Rhys @ Wipro

I would add a number 7 that UOM manipulation is a huge must for better adoption.

Absolutely!