8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 8:47 PM by mziegler

PI Datalink 2013 and tag Search Excel Plugin

wpurrer

Dear all,

With Datalink 2013, Osisoft changed the Search functionality. (to the new AF,.. integrated search ).  This search functionality for the moment lacks of certain features (which the old search has - for example combination for descr. and tag search).

From my point of view i have a problem, we need some functionality of the new one, but providing users an "upgrades" which doesn't have features anymore which the fullfill their needs  is a huge "user acceptance problem", now I think about alternatives:

- Has someone created for example an excel plugin (or maybe some easier way) to integrated the old Tag Search (doesn't not need to have the horizontal or vertical functionality).
      - So we can use this intermediate solution until the new search has at least the same functionalty as the old search...

Br
      Wolfgang

• Re: PI Datalink 2013 and tag Search Excel Plugin
          mziegler

Wolfgang

I'm the product manager for PI DataLink. Yes it is true that the new search in PI DataLink does not have all the features of the old tag search. However, the ability to search for tags in PI DataLink 2013 is still there along with all the most popular options including point source, point type, engineering units, extended descriptor, and instrument tag. Names and description/descriptor are automatically searched from your search input.

OSIsoft will continue to improve the search experience in its products. This is a first step in search. If there is something specific that you need to do that you cannot accomplish with the new version please let me know.

Search has changed considerably from the first beta in 2012 to the new public beta 2 based on a wide range of user feedback so if you haven't tried the newer version, please check it out.

Thanks,

Matt

3513.Search-Dialog-PI-Server.JPG

wpurrer

Hi Matt, im aware of the lastest version (we got it on the 11st from Michael Lee)

We still have two major issues with the new search:

* first in the old search there was instant feedback, as soon as you hit search the first results come in, you could stop the search and say ok i have to redfine my search. => not possible with the current version. (we have installed pi within a couple of sites, distributed worldwide -- network latency, 150.000 K Server .. so this instant feedback is very important)  ... with the current search i have to wait above 2 minutes ... before the first results come in, the first errors after 20 seconds)

* 90% our search usecases area combinded search for the tagname and the description (in the tagname the department is encoded (123*) and the description (*steam*) => with the new one this isn't possible.

Br

Wolfgang

mziegler

Hi Wolfgang,

Yes. You are correct and make valid points. Search is continuing to evolve. As systems get larger and customers add more PI Servers the existing technologies used for searching needed changing. PI DataLink and all the clients do searches on the client machine without a search index. This release is a step towards the longer term vision of having a back end search service to service PI System searches. It will bring the features you desire and many more.

Thanks,

Matt

wpurrer

Hi Matt,

i have to say your answer reads like the one from a marketing or sales guy.

for non of my questions the search index is relevant .. because this two features worked the last 10 years  and only with the upcomming release it isn't working anymore. (new version should have at least the same features as the last one... => is this the way osisoft likes to move forward )

At least there should be some options to still have the old search available until the new one has the full compatibility.

Br

Wolfgang

dimensionsoft

Hi Matt,

I am in the process of exploring Datalink 2013 for the first time.

While I think the AF support it is a great step forward, at the same time it has taken some steps back particularly around tag searching.

It seems it has been redesigned without thought for existing users.

Many users will still use tag searches particularly if they are familar with the site naming conventions.

Here are some observations and comments:

- Many users combine tag and descriptor searches.  Most of the time the tagname has a site or area code at the start.  So a user might want to search for tags from a particular site where a certain keyword is in the descriptor attribute.

- Many users including myself use the 'Pt Values' and 'Pt Attrs' screens.  They give us a quick easy way to find a current value.  These have both gone.

- Hover over tool tips seems to of disappeared.

- Search by value has gone.

- 'Select All' is gone.

- I do like the AF navigation.

- One of our customers wants a way to cross reference the AF attribute path back to the underlying PI tag name.

PS: The tag search ability in the new PI-SDK Utility has disappeared.  I regularly use it on interface nodes or application servers when testing for tag values, etc.

Regards,

David.

mziegler

David, Wolfgang,

We're committed to adding combined tagname and descriptor searches with an AND in the next release.

We are also committed to enhancing the search performance to return the first several hundred results in under a few seconds and stream them in.

The other items above are in the product backlog, but are not yet committed for this release as they need to be prioritized relative to other features.

We will have a public beta this summer incorporating these features which will be open to vCampus members.

Thanks for providing feedback.

Matt

Robin Verhoek

Hi Matt,

Also exploring the new DL2013, and next to the comment that David and Wolfgang already mentioned I really miss another “standard” feature that was in all previous versions of DL --> DEFAULT SERVER

Now, with the new version, there is a Root Path (optional) but this is no substitute for the default server. If you leave it empty, as optional would suggest, the DL query does not funtion

Especially when you have a tag on 3 environment (Production, Test and Development) you don’t want to TYPE you PI Server every time.

It looks like the new version is AF concentrated and you just forgot about all the current users that still use DL to retrieve data from TAGS

Robin Verhoek

Robin.Verhoek@CGI.com