3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 2:45 PM by mhamel

AF collective writing

jrapin

We build a C# application who writes PI data via a PI-AF Asset Model (AF attributes linked to PI tags with PiPoint Data Reference). OsiOSft support explained to us that it is impossible to write on Asset Model when PI-AF primary server is unavailable. So, if our application tries to write on Asset Model when PI-AF primary server is KO, there will be an exception.

So we search a method to manage this behaviour.

The first option is:

1) before writing on the Asset Model, we control if PI-AF primary server is OK.

2) if PI-AF primary server is available, the writing operation is done via  the asset model (AF-SDK)

3) if PI-AF primary server is NOT available, the writing operation is done directly on PI database (PI-SDK)

The second option is:

We try to write on the Asset Model. If the write fails, we swap on PI database writing

So, if somebody has experience or knowledge about this, your help is welcome...

• Re: AF collective writing
          mhamel

@Jean: The reading I do from your problem is that your PI AF Server is a critical piece of your architecture. The use case you present require that you could write at any time. You have options to have a complete fault tolerant and redundant system of the PI AF Server. I invite you to take a look at the Deployment Scenarios for PI Asset Framework section in the PI Asset Framework 2012 Installation Guide. An option is possible to have only primary PI AF Servers and allow writing at all time.

Let me know if you need more information on the subject.