3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 5:02 PM by skwan

Dynamic Abacus Attribute?

Will we get this feature with Abacus via the AF SDK?  For example, when my application is running I want to run some calculations (Abacus syntax/functions) and pump data to it from something like the PIDataPipe...but not necessarily send results to a PI tag, rather use the results within my application via the Rx pattern.

• Re: Dynamic Abacus Attribute?
          skwan

Rhys:

Let me see if I understand your use case (without being bogged down with nomenclatures like "dynamic attribute").  You want to be able to run Abacus calculations at a high rate without requiring the results to be written to a PI tag?  If that's your question, then yes you can.  As you may have seen from vCampus Live Hands On lab, you will be able to write the result to an AF attribute.

Steve, Sort of.  I want to be able to create an Abacus Calculation based on an Element from an AF Hierarchy but I don't want it to be scheduled by the Abacus Schedulers.  I want to run the analysis at my leisure within my application within my AF client 'sandbox'.  So I would be expecting something like an AbacusCalculation interface that takes an AFElement as input, as well as the calculation algorithm itself.  Then I can call GetValue(s)/Run/Execute/Calculate/Whatever at my own schedule, with some overloads to run the calculation for my own supplied timestamps.

What I am getting at, is that if users are going to create calculations within AF then any applications that perform similar/same calculations as intermediate calculations then they should be based on the same code base, an abacus calculation.  I am thinking of a debugging tool for the abacus calculations in scenarios where the results aren't as expected and narrowing down the source of the issue with nested calculations.  Unless v1 of Abacus will deliver a dependency walker?

skwan

Rhys:

It's great to see your interest in Abacus.  So I'll try my best to answer your questions.

So you want to use AF/Abacus as a framework to manage your calculations and then trigger them on your own schedule.  What you're describing can be done today in PI System Explorer.  From the vCampus Live hands-on lab, you may recall in PSE, there is a button to evaluate the Abacus analysis.  This triggers an immediate evaluation and if there are other dependency calculations, they would be triggered also.  Are you interested in doing something similar within your own application?

Abacus keeps an internal dependency tree and in version 1, we will honor dependencies.  We do plan on exposing this dependency tree, but we don't know yet how best to do this.  There are of course many options such as a hierarchy, a 3-D interconnected diagram, etc.  It's unsettled at the moment and I can tell you that it won't be exposed in version 1.  However, we are currently making some changes to the Abacus configuration UI that will tend to lead users to "breakup" their complicated calculations into more manageable pieces thereby making it easier to debug.  Unfortunately it's not yet ready to be shown....  Perhaps we can do a vCampus webinar with some prototypes....