7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 6:08 AM by anshuman

Getting Batch Data

anshuman

Can we use PI web services to retrieve list of batches, units data?If not, what is the best practice to get such data?

• Re: Getting Batch Data
          hanyong

Hi Anshuman,

PI Web Services does not expose methods to search or provide batch information. To access batch data, you can use PI SDK or PI OLEDB (Classic) Provider instead. PI Web Services will be supporting Event Frames in the next version though. But the migration from PI Batch to Event Frames will happen at a later stage if I am not wrong.

Are you working on a PI System where batch information is already collected and available for your application?

anshuman

Hi Han,

Thanks for the reply.

>>>>>>Are you working on a PI System where batch information is already collected and available for your application?

Yes. You can assume that batch information is already collected and available to our application.

My ultimate goal is to expose my application as a web service to be consumed by other applications which require batch related information similar to the IPITimeSeries web service interface. From this perspective, which method is the preferred one [PI SDK or PI OLEDB]?

Instead of using PI Batch, you could look into EF. As you are aware, EF is already exposed via web services.

hanyong

Hi Anshuman,

As per Gopal's comment, moving forward it would be recommended that you move to Event Frames.PI Web Services will be supporting Event Frames in the next version (PI Web Services 2012) which is available as a CTP version in the Download Center, under Pre-Release category at the moment. 

If you are working with existing system with batch information available, I would say that you might have to wait until the migration from Batch to Event Frames is supported. 

If you are thinking of writing a custom web service in .NET that expose methods for getting the batch information, then my personal preference would be using PI OLEDB. This is because PI SDK is a COM library and using it in .NET may have issues related to COM interop and MTA vs STA.

anshuman

So the way to go is by using PI OLEDB. Will the OLEDB provider class be supported after the migration to Event frames is done?

mhamel

@Anshuman: PI OLEDB provider is powered by PI SDK under the hood. As you may have heard from different sources, the AF SDK is taking place over the PI SDK. The PI SDK won't evolve that much except for bug fixes. It also means that PI OLEDB will follow the same path. It will be kept for compatibility reasons, you don't have to worry. It will simply not see the new features implemented. You will have to use the PI OLEDB Enterprise provider to get them.

I hope this helped.