11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 9:33 PM by RJKSolutions

CoreSight Display links with auto context setting

I need similar functionality to that of ProcessBook's ERD in CoreSight.

For example, I have a display in CoreSight that serves as an "overview". On that display I want to have multiple links to the same CoreSight "detail" display but be able to provide the Releated Asset as part of the display link (or on the Query String).  Right now users need to open the detail display and manually select the correct Related Asset based on all the instances of the Template that CoreSight found.  Any chance of shoehorning that in to the next release?

• Re: CoreSight Display links with auto context setting
          tlebay

Actually there is a very good chance.  :-)  We plan to add the ability to pass a Related Asset as part of a display link.  Using the same logic as manually selecting a Related Asset, any related symbols on the display will be set to display the data for the asset passed in the display link.

We wanted to get this in the last release but ran out of time.

Awesome!  Look forward to it.

Tom, am I missing something with the related asset feature as it doesn't seem to honour reference types.  If I have Element Template 'A' and Element Template 'B' with a reference type from 'A' to 'B', then Related Assets shows up relations for 'A' and 'B'.  That is fine although I would like to see the related assets as a reference hierarchy, but if I change the related asset of template 'A' the 'A' symbols will update but any templates with a reference & a child of 'A' in the hierarchy are not changed to the new branch of the AF hierarchy.  Is that expected?

tlebay

I need to look into it a little further to be sure but I suspect you are seeing a caching issue.  If you completely close your browser and then reconnect I think you will see the updated structure.  

For performance reasons we chose to not update the browser client cache during a browser session for a given AF result.  The assumption is that the AF structure doesn't change very often so most of the time this is a welcome usability boost.  Of course this doesn't hold true when you are setting up the db.  :-)

Tom, think I am talking about something else.

For simplicity:

- I have Element Template 'A' and Element Template 'B'.

- I have a reference type for 'A' to 'B'.  

- In my AF Database I have 2 root level elements derived from Element Template 'A'; 'A1' and 'A2'.

- For both 'A1' and 'A2' I have 3 child elements derived from 'B' named 'B1', 'B2' and 'B3'.

\\afserver\afdatabase\A1\

\\afserver\afdatabase\A1\B1\

\\afserver\afdatabase\A1\B2\

\\afserver\afdatabase\A1\B3\

\\afserver\afdatabase\A2\

\\afserver\afdatabase\A2\B1\

\\afserver\afdatabase\A2\B2\

\\afserver\afdatabase\A2\B3\

If I drop an Attribute from 'A1' on the display called 'A1|Attribute1' then the Related Assets will show 'A2' as an asset I can switch to.  The symbol would change to 'A2|Attribute1'.

If I drop an Attribute from 'A1\B1' on the same display called 'A1\B1|Attribute1' then switching to 'A2' only changes the context of the 'A1|Attribute1' symbol but leaves 'A1\B1|Attribute1' alone.  That is not how it works in ProcessBook ERD.  In CoreSight I have to change the related asset to 'A2\B2' as a second step ... until all Elements below the top level Element have been changed to the new branch of the hierarchy.

It would seem that I should be able to say when changing a related asset "change all referenced child elements (assets) too" with one click.