4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 7:41 PM by opelosi

Create an event handler in ActiveX control to the DataUpdate event

Hi everyone

I'm developing a ActiveX control for ProcessBook that acts like any other symbol. It must retreive a point's snapshot value and display it. But I can't find any documentation that explain how to attach an event handler to the DataUpdate event. I'm aware that I can create a function which can be called by Display's DataUpdate event using VBA but this is the worse case for me since the control must act like a symbol (place and let the PB update it).

So, there is any way to connect my ActiveX control event handler to the PB's DataUpdate event?

Thanks for the help

• Re: Create an event handler in ActiveX control to the DataUpdate event
          Asle Frantzen

Hi Orlando

From my object browser in Visual Studio I can read this:

public virtual event

PBSymLib.EValue_DataUpdateEventHandler DataUpdate

Member of

PBSymLib.ValueClass

which is part of the file C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\Procbook\PublicAssemblies\OSIsoft.PBSymLib.dll, so just add a reference to that and you'll be on your way.

Thanks for the help

I can't use this delegate because the control is being developed using C++ (unmanaged). But, if I create an event with this delegate, will PB trigger it?

I created an event using COM API and I can attach event handlers to it using PB's VBA, but it is not triggered by PB.

What I really want is: when the PB updates the display's data, updade my control's data too.

Asle Frantzen

In my C# RegressionLine Addin I'm subscribing to ContextChanged events from ProcessBook, and that works flawlessly, so I don't see any obstacles with symbols and data updates.

It's been a while since I used C++ so I can't really give any recommendations or experiences there.

For another addin I had to create quickly I just added a value symbol to my display, set the Visible property to false, hooked on to the data update event using VBA, and relayed the updated value to my addin from there.

I found a solution for my problem. The site support.microsoft.com/.../en-us shows how to create a sink class which can be used as an event handler.

To work with Display's DataUpdate event, the user must create a class like the one demonstred on the link above but with a few changes like create the dispatch function with ID 11 (DataUpdate DISPID) and call AfxConnectionAdvise using the display as source with PBObjLib::EDisplay interface ID.

The following code is the changes that I made to work with PB:

BEGIN_DISPATCH_MAP(CDisplayEventsImpl, CCmdTarget)
                           DISP_FUNCTION_ID(CDisplayEventsImpl, "DataUpdate", 11, UpdateControlData, VT_EMPTY, VTS_NONE)
                      END_DISPATCH_MAP()

BEGIN_INTERFACE_MAP(CDisplayEventsImpl, CCmdTarget)
                           INTERFACE_PART(CDisplayEventsImpl, __uuidof(PBObjLib::EDisplay), Dispatch)
                      END_INTERFACE_MAP()

AfxConnectionAdvise(this->display, __uuidof(PBObjLib::EDisplay), this->displayEvents->GetIDispatch(FALSE), FALSE, &this->cookie);