18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 12:25 PM by ChewCheeLim

"I/O TimeOut" in PI Value. Caused computed values like Min, Max & Average to have IsGood() == fasle?

ChewCheeLim

Hi,

When a PI Data point shows "I/O Timeout" in the value, will this cause computed values like Min, Max & Average to have IsGood() = false? Or it will still produce computed values whatever that can be computed?

Have this problem in prd. Hard to re-preduce in dev environment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Re: "I/O TimeOut" in PI Value. Caused computed values like Min, Max & Average to have IsGood() == fasle?

Hello Chew,

There exist different methods in AF SDK. Which one are you using?

• Re: "I/O TimeOut" in PI Value. Caused computed values like Min, Max & Average to have IsGood() == fasle?
              Rick Davin

If a PIValue (or AFValue for that matter) is set to a System digital state, then it's status is bad.  Anything with a bad status is ignored in aggregates such as Min, Max, and Average.

ChewCheeLim

Thanks Gregor & Rick.

Gregor: The method used: aPiPoint.Data.Summary(aDate, aDate.AddDays(1), ArchiveSummaryTypeConstants.astAverage);

Thanks Rick, we need to find out why the Min\max\Average values are not retrieved properly.

Hello Chew,

I was about reproducing what you might see. Is it possible that you are using PI SDK and not AF SDK?

ChewCheeLim

Thanks Gregor: This is PI SDK.

This is legacy code. upgrading in progress on our end.

Object : PISDK.PIPoint

Rick Davin

One very rare condition to be aware of is if any float32's have a PIValue of NaN on older PI servers.  It was possible a few years ago to save a Single.NaN to your archives, and since it matches the point type of float32 it would have a good status.  Since it has a good status, it would be counted in the aggregates.  Any aggregation with these NaN's would result in a NaN.

On newer PI servers, you can't write a NaN to archives.  Instead it will write a digital state 317 of Invalid Float, which would have a bad status and not be used in aggregates.

Hello Chew,

PercentGood informs about the percentage of good archive values for the specified query period. I have created an example yesterday but were facing issues posting it on the forum because of the angle brackets (smaller than and greater than) used with IDictionary. I have now replaced angle brackets with ^.

PISystem myPISystem = new PISystems().DefaultPISystem;
                                                  myPISystem.Connect();
                                                  AFDatabase myDatabase = myPISystem.Databases["myDatabase"];
                                                  AFElement myElement = myDatabase.Elements["myElement"];
                                                  AFAttribute myAttribute = myElement.Attributes["myAttribute"];
                                                  AFTime myTimeSt = new AFTime(DateTime.UtcNow.AddHours(-1));
                                                  AFTime myTimeEt = AFTime.Now;
                                                  AFTimeRange myTimeRange = new AFTimeRange(myTimeSt, myTimeEt);
                                                  IDictionary^FSummaryTypes, AFValue^mySummaries = myAttribute.Data.Summary(myTimeRange,
                                                      AFSummaryTypes.All, AFCalculationBasis.EventWeighted, AFTimestampCalculation.Auto);
                                                  Console.WriteLine("Count:       " + mySummaries[AFSummaryTypes.Count].ToString());
                                                  Console.WriteLine("PercentGood: " + mySummaries[AFSummaryTypes.PercentGood].ToString());
                                                  Console.WriteLine("Average:     " + mySummaries[AFSummaryTypes.Average].ToString());
                                                  Console.WriteLine("Minimum:     " + mySummaries[AFSummaryTypes.Minimum].ToString());
                                                  Console.WriteLine("Maximum:     " + mySummaries[AFSummaryTypes.Maximum].ToString());
                                                  Console.WriteLine("Total:       " + mySummaries[AFSummaryTypes.Total].ToString());
                                                  Console.ReadKey();
                                                  myPISystem.Disconnect();

I have just checked PI SDK help for PercentGood and found this information is always returned (double precision) with PIData.Summary

ChewCheeLim

Thanks, Gregor. Let me try that from my end.. Many thanks!

ChewCheeLim

Hi Gregor, We loaded production data into Dev environment. (need to 'erase' some info due to confidentiality). See pic.

4263.PI-BAD-VALUES.png

We called the PI SDK this way:

aPiValue = aPiPoint.Data.ArcValue('2013-03-08 12:00:00', RetrievalTypeConstants.rtAtOrAfter);          

if (aPiValue.IsGood())          

{                                                    

aDailyValue.DailyAverage = aPiPoint.Data.Summary('2013-03-08 12:00:00', '2013-03-08 19:00:00', ArchiveSummaryTypeConstants.astAverage);                                                      

aDailyValue.DailyMaximum = aPiPoint.Data.Summary('2013-03-08 12:00:00', '2013-03-08 19:00:00', ArchiveSummaryTypeConstants.astMaximum);                                                      

aDailyValue.DailyMinimum= aPiPoint.Data.Summary('2013-03-08 12:00:00', '2013-03-08 19:00:00', ArchiveSummaryTypeConstants.astMinimum);                                                    

}

Being the   1st value in the PI is '111' When we stepped through the code, the IsGood() == true..

Then further checking on the values on Min\Max\ and average as follow:

min=98.0991 

max=111.0000 

average = 105.1812

Then we forced the PI data where the 1st Value in the PI as 'Bad' and the rest with legit values e.g. 111 or something else, the IsGood() == false.

1) Why am I seeing this behavior with IsGood() check? 1st value is good, then isgood check == true?

2) Since I only have 1 good value in my Isgood()== true test case, Where is the min 98.0991 is coming from? I am expecting to see 111 as the min value as well.

3) Is the way I am using the PI SDK correct?

Please advice.

Many thanks!