RJKSolutions

High speed AF

Discussion created by RJKSolutions on Mar 12, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 by skwan

I'm bored and been day dreaming about AF...well, not really but couldn't think how to open this post.

Have OSIsoft ever considered, or gone 1 step further with testing, a stripped down version of AF to test performance against the standard AF Server?  What I mean by stripped down is, no versioning, no sandbox, no querydate ... just pure hierarchy get/set.

I see numerous projects where there is some element of caching of the AF hierarchy, not because of network latency but mature hierarchies that are multiple levels deep and quite large - bordering on enterprise scale hierarchies.  I wonder how much of an overhead the sandbox and co. play in the SQL side of AF and in the code paths of the AF SDK.  Personally, I would much rather a high speed AF with separate DTAP AF Servers where significant hierarchy changes can be evaluated, and versioning of the hierarchy would appear in external systems other than AF.  However, if a stripped down version is not significantly faster then I have probably wasted some valuable thinking time on this topic...

Thoughts? (From the community as well as OSIsoft.) 

Outcomes