9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 2:35 PM by Gregor

Notifying when a lower alert state is triggered

james.cook

The 'Notify only on change in status' means that a message is sent out when an alert state is entered, when a higher alert state is triggered or (optionally) when a notification closes.

I would like to know whether or not there is a way to force it to send a message when a lower alert state is triggered. For example, I have a notification which triggers 'Amber Warning' (Normal priority) given a certain scenario. It then triggers 'Red Warning' (AboveNormal priority) given another scenario. This transition works fine and it is also set to send a message when it closes, which it does successfully. I would like a message to be sent when the 'Red Warning' becomes an 'Amber Warning' but there doesn't appear to be any way of doing this unless I set them up as distinct notifications. Is it possible to achieve this in one notification or will I have to go with creating two notifications instead?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Notifying when a lower alert state is triggered

Hello James,

Do you want a notification being send with every status change or are you looking for something in between every status change and 'Notify only on change in status'?

I haven't tried it but within the conditions you have the ability using Performance Equations that allow you to compare the current status (DigText(TagVal)) against the previous one (DigText(PrevEvent)).

james.cook

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I want a notification to be sent on any change in state - not just when the priority becomes higher.

My notification has two performance equations (PE). One results in a state of 'Amber Warning' (Normal priority) and the other results in a state of 'Red Warning' (AboveNormal priority).

Certain conditions (tested in the PE) result in the Amber Warning.

The same conditions plus additional conditions (tested in an additional PE) result in the Red Warning.

An 'Amber Warning' notification is successfully sent when the first PE is true.

A 'Red Warning' notification is successfully sent when the second PE is also true.

A 'notification closed' notification is successfully sent when subsequently neither PE remains true.

I would like a notification to be sent when the 'Red Warning' PE is no longer true but the 'Amber Warning' PE is still true, i.e. there is no longer a 'Red Warning' scenario but it is still at 'Amber Warning'. I cannot see a way to achieve this on one notification, though I can see how I would do it by introducing a second. I can do this but would prefer to do it on one, if possible.

James

Hello James,

This should work by unchecking 'Notify only on change in status'. I have just filled up my inbox with notifications about CDM158 value changes. I understand the wording might be a bit misleading in your case but with 'Notify only on change in status' unchecked and 'Natural' scheduling each snapshot update triggers a notification. This is at least my understanding and what my brief test has confirmed.

james.cook

Hi Gregor,

Unfortunately in this instance I don't believe using 'Natural' time rule won't work because this notification triggers if there has not been an entry for a certain period of time.

I think I'll have to use the two notification solution.

Please could you pass on my requirement to the product development people as I think my suggestion would be useful for more than just me!

Many thanks for your help.

James

Hello James,

There are various possibilities to configure PI Notifications triggers. Please let us ensure first your use case is indeed not covered. I like to reproduce your use case and see what we can offer.

Can you please provide the Performance Equation you are using and describe the source data (value range, update frequencies) and maybe some additional details about your use case?

Please also let us know what schedule you've selected.

james.cook

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for your interest!

I'll simplify the Performance Equations as they're quite long, but keep the defining features the same.

PE 1:

(If PrevEvent('Barnsley', '*') < '*' - 3600 Then 1 Else 0 + If PrevEvent('Bradford', '*') < '*' - 3600 Then 1 Else 0 + If PrevEvent('Harrogate', '*') < '*' - 3600 Then 1 Else 0) >= 1

Result When True: Amber Warning

Priority: Normal

PE 2:

(If PrevEvent('Barnsley', '*') < '*' - 3600 Then 1 Else 0 + If PrevEvent('Bradford', '*') < '*' - 3600 Then 1 Else 0 + If PrevEvent('Harrogate', '*') < '*' - 3600 Then 1 Else 0) >= 3

Result When True: Red Warning

Priority: AboveNormal

Time Rule: Periodic (Frequency of 1 second)

Notify only on change in status: ticked

The attributes 'Barnsley', 'Bradford' and 'Harrogate' are all readings taken from different Hawkeye devices in remote geographical locations which call in every hour. The idea is that if one or more have not called in for over an hour there is an amber warning. If three or more haven't called in for over an hour then this is a red warning. I would like it to move back to an amber warning should the number of devices which haven't called in for an hour goes below three (but still more than one).

The notification doesn't depend on the value, rather on whether any value has been recorded.

I hope this makes sense!

James