rdavin

Two Element Version Issues

Discussion created by rdavin Employee on Apr 16, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 by cmanhard

This is my first foray into versioning for an AFElement and I have 2 issues detailed below.  My AF client version is 2.5.1 and my AF server version is 2.5.0.  I whipped together a small test template with an AFAttribute that is a configuration item, which is a string attribute that cycles among { “First”, “Second”, “Third”, “Fourth”, “Fifth”, and “Sixth” } starting on Sunday, 1/1/2012, and incrementing every 7 days.  Here’s a brief shot of the version history:

 

 1307.Show-History.png

 

 

 

So far, this looks good to me, meaning it is what I expected.  My first issue of something I did not expect is when I did a Time Series in PSE (with the default null QueryDate):

 

 1205.version-time-series.png

 

 

 

The time series cycles correctly, but what I was not expecting was 2 values per version event.  I was only expecting the 2nd value in each rectangular pairing.  So it seems that the versions overlap as one is created and the other one ends.  This doesn’t seem right to me.  I tend to think that the very instant a new version is created that the previous version should be out of scope. 

 

Other than multiple values at the same event, the Time Series works as to be expected, as long as PSE’s QueryDate is null.  My 2nd issue is that when I specifically set the QueryDate that the Time Series gives me unexpected results.  Let’s choose Jan 18, 2012, when the configuration item should be “Third” effective on 1/15/2012.  I also am expecting it to be “First” on 1/1/2012 and “Second” on 1/8/2012.  But here’s what I get:

 

 1411.Time-Series-Jan-18.png

 


Lucky for me, we really don’t use QueryDate, other than creating element versions.  If I’m interested in a time range, I use a null QueryDate and put the range of interest in the Time Series dialog.  So this shouldn’t be a problem for us.  I only stumbled upon as I was testing, since I am a newbie to element versioning and feel a strong need to kick the tires twice and give a test drive before putting it into production.  I can see that one could argue that the above results are correct or incorrect depending upon how you want to interpret it.  If you interpret it as “set the QueryDate and give me the one element version that is applicable, then show me data against that one version” then the results are correct.

 

So the 2nd issue doesn’t seem to be a bug as much as intentional behavior.  However, I would categorize my 1st issue of multiple values at version created events as a bug.  At least from where I am standing.

Outcomes