22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 8:16 PM by jonasengedal

Users Conference 2013 -- ESRI & OSisoft integration demo (GIS enable your assets!)

MvanderVeeken

If you were attending the 2013 Users Conference in San Francisco last week, you couldn't have missed the OSIsoft and ESRI partnership announcement. John Baier (OSIsoft) and Chris Cappelli (ESRI) made the official announcement during the closing keynote on Day 2. 

Part of the announcement was a demo that OSIsoft and ESRI have been working on for the past months. If you did not have a chance to attend, the recording will be up soon (and posted here).

You can find the demo here. The source code for the demo can be found here.

We are creating a video series to help you get the most out of this demo and the released source code. You can find the YouTube playlist here.

Update: Matt Ziegler created a nice recorded demo video

Both OSIsoft and ESRI are committed to create products that will help you leverage both systems. We are not there yet. That's why were are making the demo source code available so you can start your research on how to create geospatial solutions with the PI System and ArcGis.

About ESRI

Since 1969, Esri has been giving customers around the world the power to think and plan geographically. The market leader in GIS technology, Esri software is used in more than 300,000 organizations worldwide including each of the 200 largest cities in the United States, most national governments, more than two-thirds of Fortune 500 companies, and more than 7,000 colleges and universities. Esri applications, running on more than one million desktops and thousands of Web and enterprise servers, provide the backbone for the world's mapping and spatial analysis. Esri is the only vendor that provides complete technical solutions for desktop, mobile, server, and Internet platforms. Visit us at esri.com/news.

• Re: Users Conference 2013 -- ESRI & OSisoft integration demo (GIS enable your assets!)
          Roger Palmen

Like it!

A few months ago finished a similar demo for a client, but using the ESRI and PI WebParts connected on SharePoint for a front-end, and a simple OLEDB datafeed into the MapServer. Let's hope OSIsoft and ESRI make my life easier quicly an make the integration an out-of-box feature!

• Re: Users Conference 2013 -- ESRI & OSisoft integration demo (GIS enable your assets!)
              Lonnie Bowling

@Michael - Thanks man, you just ruined my weekend, j/k.  This is great technology and thank you for paving the way.  I can't believe how obvious it is now that OSIsoft and Esri should get together. This is going to give us so much more to work with, especially in the mobile space. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about this new development!  Maybe if there is a lot of interest we could have a new area on the boards.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I just can help it sometimes 

Asle Frantzen

Thanks for the demo, Michael!

Since I didn't attend the UC presentation I'd like to know if you have a target date for a released product or set of tools we can use?

We had already convinced one of our clients to go for a Sharepoint webpart with real-time data on top of Google Maps or Bing Maps, just a month before the UC. I did check out Esri first, but (1) it costs money - as opposed to Bing/Google, and (2) our client already has different GIS-solutions specific to t&d and does not wish to pay for another one. Also, I couldn't find any pricing information on their website - and normally no pricing means it's expensive.

But it might be worth paying for this if the total costs of Esri + OSIsoft integration isn't too far away from our suggested solution - which would have to be created from scratch.

MvanderVeeken

Thanks for the feedback guys!

A few months ago finished a similar demo for a client, but using the ESRI and PI WebParts connected on SharePoint for a front-end, and a simple OLEDB datafeed into the MapServer. Let's hope OSIsoft and ESRI make my life easier quicly an make the integration an out-of-box feature!

Our goal is to make integration between the two systems easy and configurable. Like you described, there have been successful (client side) integrations between the two systems. A lot of them indeed making use of sharepoint. Right now it is still cumbersome to do, and usually requires a project and custom coding. Our aim is to make it very easy. 

@Michael - Thanks man, you just ruined my weekend, j/k.  This is great technology and thank you for paving the way.  I can't believe how obvious it is now that OSIsoft and Esri should get together. This is going to give us so much more to work with, especially in the mobile space. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about this new development!  Maybe if there is a lot of interest we could have a new area on the boards.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I just can help it sometimes 

Indeed, a seamless integration between both worlds is a very obvious choice. In my research I found that both systems truly complement each other, and (quite literally) add another dimension to the data. Next some of the obvious functionality from the demo, this opens up a whole new world of possibilities when we can truly merge time series data with geospatial data. We will be able to do analysis and visualizations that will be very valuable that are not possible (or at least not easily)  today.

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

Since I didn't attend the UC presentation I'd like to know if you have a target date for a released product or set of tools we can use?

No release date set yet. However, we are very committed to this. We will make sure to update you on the progress and would like to invite you to join the discussion and give us feedback.

Asle Frantzen @ Amitec

We had already convinced one of our clients to go for a Sharepoint webpart with real-time data on top of Google Maps or Bing Maps, just a month before the UC. I did check out Esri first, but (1) it costs money - as opposed to Bing/Google, and (2) our client already has different GIS-solutions specific to t&d and does not wish to pay for another one. Also, I couldn't find any pricing information on their website - and normally no pricing means it's expensive.

Very good observation. I think a real parallel can be drawn between ESRI and OSIsoft in that we both provide a platform. Our goal is to integrate both platforms, so we can make use of the functionality and data in both systems. It is very possible to 'draw stuff on a map' using freely available tools like BING maps and Google maps. An integration with ESRI means much more than that. They truly provide a platform for everything related to the geography, in terms of visualization, analysis and user experience. It might seem more of an investment in the short term, but I believe that in the long term this will pay itself back many times. Investing in a proper platform means less investment and custom projects (expensive and risky) and more return in the long haul.

One example I experienced: once you configure your map with the different layers, you can use it on any of their optimized client tools (web, desktop, tablet, mobile). This is huge if you talk about user experience and usability of your maps. Ever tried to use sharepoint on your iphone?

I'm not familiar with the pricing. I do know that ArcGis online (arcgis.com) is a subscription based cloud offering that will allow you to do many of the analysis and visualization. I believe this is very reasonably priced, and a good way of making use of ArcGis without having to install servers on premise. We used this for the demo as well.

I'm really approaching this from the technical side, maybe a PM can jump in and cover the business value

Matt Ziegler created a nice recorded demo video

jonasengedal

Hi Michael

The download link for source code doesn't work. Can I find it another place? Is there a newer version?

Best regards

Jonas

gregor

Hello Jonas,

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience. With the migration from the old vCampus to the new PI Square (PI Developers Club) platform content has been moved to OSIsoft Technical Support Download Center. We are currently facing different issues. Links are broken and some downloads are with the wrong category causing that they are not available to PI Developers Club members. We are working on both kind of issues. If you see a broken link, please report it by either replying to the belonging thread or by sending an email to pidevclub@osisoft.com.

With regards to the source code you are asking for, it is not available at the Technical Support Download Center. In the meantime OSIsoft has released a product, the PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS 2014. Because of this I am unsure if the source code Michael once offered in this thread is supposed being made available. I have however contacted the author (Michael) and made him aware of your request.

mkuiee

Hello Jonas

The code was originally developed as part of a proof of concept to demonstrate integration between the PI System Infrastructure and the ArcGIS Platform.  That POC was wildly successful.

Since then, we have spent the time developing an off the shelf product.  The product was released last October and is called PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS.

The product delivers a user configurable, asset-centric means of delivering PI System data to ArcGIS maps via feature services as layers.

It takes care of creating the simple workflow in ArcGIS GeoEvent Extension for server in order to facilitate stream updates to the map.  It is very possible to customize the workflow, if desired.

The product also include a monitor and a map extraction tool that will build AF templates and elements using layer information read from map services.

We do all of the heavy lifting and serve the PI System data efficiently and reliably, which can then be added quite simply by adding the layer to a map. This frees the GIS professional to spend their time making the map shine (or twinkle).

Can you help us understand your use cases? We're always on the look out for good user stories to add to our backlog!

Meanwhile, Gregor will continue his efforts in locating the lost content.