5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2013 9:17 PM by RJKSolutions

Auto archive + overwrite data on auto shift failure

Why doesn't the combination of tuning parameters "Archive_AutoArchiveFileRoot" (non null) plus "Archive_OverwriteDataOnAutoShiftFailure" rename the archive file it has overwritten in this failure scenario? Instead it keeps the same old archive name. 

• Re: Auto archive + overwrite data on auto shift failure

Hello Rhys,

I assume "Archive_AutoArchiveFileRoot" has a valid definition for the archive file path as well as for archive naming?

Further "Archive_OverwriteDataOnAutoShiftFailure" is set to 1?

PI Archive Subsystem was restarted after applying the settings to above tuning parameters?

What was the reason for the shift to fail?

What's the PI Server version?

• Re: Auto archive + overwrite data on auto shift failure

Hi Gregor.

PI Server 2010 R3. Both tuning parameters have valid values.

Shift fails "on purpose" as there is insufficient disk space for new archives, instead we want it to use an old archive. I keep a specific amount of disk space to retain data for long enough to meet requirements. I expected the old archive to be used, worked fine, but I really expected the old archive to be given a new name according to the auto archive parameters just like new archives. Instead the old name is used which could be misleading, i.e. it's name is a date from over 2 years ago but is now the primary archive.

Likely I will periodically clean up with a routine PowerShell script but to me should be standard functionality of the PI Server - another tuning parameter to indicate if overwritten archives should be renamed or left alone.