9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 11:18 AM by Marcos Vainer Loeff Branched to a new discussion.

Problems with Pbobjlib.tlb registration & use.

ainwood

I am developing a C# application that essentially uses Pbobjlib.tlb to create a PI ProcessBook application instance, and then do some stuff (load displays etc).  I am having a few little problems, and am trying to diangose / resolve them.  This is a spin-off from this thread: http://vcampus.osisoft.com/discussion_hall/add_in_microsoft_development/f/11/p/4197/22324.aspx

As noted in that thread, I was having problems with macro protection not firing when application.displays[].open was called.  It was suggested that I instead try using the "Global" class application object, instead of the Application class direct.  When I tried this, I got an error that the class was not registered.  I have been trying to resolve this, and this thread is to get help on the problems I have found.

Firstly, I am using ProcessBook 3.2.3.0.  Here is the system info:

PI ProcessBook
      Version 3.2.3.0
          COMCTL32.dll    6.1.7600.16385 6.10.7601.17514 C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2\
          MFC80.DLL       8.00.50727.4053 8.0.50727.4053 C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_cbf21254470d8752\
          ModContextSupport.ocx 3.02          3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\ModuleContext\
          ModuleContext.dll 3.02          3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\ModuleContext\
          MSO9.DLL        9.0.3610      9.0.0.3610    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\
          MSVBVM60.DLL    6.00.9815     6.0.98.15     C:\Windows\system32\
          MSVCR80.dll     8.00.50727.6195 8.0.50727.6195 C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\
          msvcrt.dll      7.0.7601.17744 7.0.7601.17744 C:\Windows\system32\
          Pblib32.dll     3.2.3.0       3.2.3.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
          pisdk.dll       1.3.6.0       1.3.6.363     C:\Program Files\PIPC\PISDK\
          PISDKCommon.dll 1.3.6.0       1.3.6.361     C:\Program Files\PIPC\PISDK\
          PISDKDlg.dll    1.06.0365     1.6.0.365     C:\Program Files\PIPC\PISDK\
          PITimeServer.dll 1.3.6.0       1.3.6.361     C:\Program Files\PIPC\LIBRARY\
          Plot.dll        3.2.0.0       3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
          Prims32.dll     3.2.0.0       3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
          Procbook.exe    3.2.3.0       3.2.3.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
          SQC.DLL         3.2.0.0       3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
          svg_addin.dll   3.02          3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\SVG_addin\
          Toolbox.dll     3.2.0.0       3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
          Trend32.dll     3.2.0.0       3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
          VBE6.DLL        6.05.1054     6.5.10.54     C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\VBA\VBA6\
          xyplot.dll      3.2.0.0       3.2.0.0       C:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\
      Copyright © 1993 - 2010 OSIsoft, LLC

In my application, I am adding a reference to the Interop.PBObjLib (PI-ProcessBook Type Library, version 3.1 & 3.2, c:\Program Files\PIPC\Procbook\Pbobjlib.tlb) I am assuming that it is a self-registering library.

Anyway, when I add a reference to this library, it adds OK to my application.  I can run it, and it works properly (creating processbook instances etc), and the only real problems is that macros execute when I programatically open a display.  IN trying to solve that, as per the advice given, when I try to make the following declaration:

PBObjLib.Global oPiObject = new PBObjLib.Global();
                  m_oPIApp = oPiObject.Application;

It compiles fine, but I get a runtime error that:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {B97046B1-577C-11D0-BACC-00AA00BFB45A} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

I decided to try something different.  I had been running my Visual C# IDE as a normal user.  I tried to instead run it as an administrator, and got a whole lot of weird errors when I restarted the IDE:

Cannot get the file path for type library "0cf87d80-9e07-11cf-840c-00aa00422a4a" version 3.2. Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED)) 

The type or namespace name 'PBObjLib' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) 

I therefore tried to remove the existing reference, and add a new one.  Trying to add a reference to library 3.2, I get:

A reference to "PI-Processbook Type Library" could not be created.

Trying to add a reference to library 3.1, I get:

A reference to "PI-Processbook Type Library" could not be added. Could not register the ActiveX type library 'C:\Program FIles\PIPC\Procbook\pbobjlib.tlb'.

So... Thoroughly confused.  Why can I register and use the library when the IDE is as a normal user, but not when started as an administrator?

Note:  I have uninstalled and reinstalled, including cleaning-out old unused references in the registry.

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Re: Problems with Pbobjlib.tlb registration & use.

Project CPU set to x86?

ainwood

Yes.  I am actually using the Express Edition, so can't set it to anything but x86.

mhamel

@Andrew: Why aren't you making use of OSIsoft.PBObjLib.dll? It looks like you are using another interop library generated after adding a reference to pbobjlib.tlb.

I suspect many of your problems are starting from there.

Can you try to use the OSIsoft.PBObjLib.dll assembly in your C# project?

ainwood

Osisoft.PBOBLlib.dll is a hidden file in my install.  Nevertheless, I can add it as a reference, but still get the error described above.

Edit:  There is a copy that is not hidden under \Program Files\PIPC\Processbook\Public Assemblies\ but that still gives the error as well.

mhamel

@Andrew: You are right, OSIsoft.PBObjLib.dll is hidden and protected by the system as it is registered againtst the GAC. The version I have pointed out under ..\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\ProcessBook\Public Assemblies is the same version that you can add a reference to your project. During the initialization process of your application or add-in, the assembly location will be resolved automatically for you and would normally find them under C:\Windows\Assembly (.NET Framework 2, 3 and 3.5) or C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET (.NET Framework 4+).

I will continue to investigate your problem.

ainwood

Thanks.  Note that the original version  I was using was the one that is automatically registered when PI ProcessBook is installed (i.e under C#, add reference, listed under the "COM" tab.)  I do note that some objects in the library work fine (the "Application" object), but others don't (the Global.Application object).

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Andrew,

You are receiving the error below because global is an interface and not a class, therefore, it cannot be instantiated.

Normally, you would use the global Application on your VBA Editor of PI ProcessBook . Below you can find an example:

Sub PrintAppName()

Dim N as String

N = Application.Name

Debug.Print N

End Sub

Notice that we aren't creating a "new" anything.  We are just using the global variable "Application" that PB creates.

In a C# application, you should create the application object in a regular way, since you won’t be able to use the global application.

PBObjLib.Application myApplication = new PBObjLib.Application();

Hope this helps,

ainwood

OK - thanks.  

This actually stemmed from this thread:

vcampus.osisoft.com/.../4197.aspx

As you can see, I am simply trying to create a ProcessBook application via COM, and then load a display, without the Macros firing.  I couldn't get this to work, and it was suggested that I use the "Global" object instead.  I'm really not sure what I shoudl be doing here.....  

In a nutshell, I want to:

1.) Create a PBObjLib.Application Object

2.) Use PBObjLib.Application.Displays.Open(sDisplayFullPath, true);  to open a display; BUT

3.) Prevent macros running when the display is opened.  

If the application is created with MacroProtectionLevel=6, then the macros still run.  (Note:  If the display is opened programatically using Display.Open, the macros run.  If I manually (i.e. with the mouse) activate the ProcessBook instance I have created manually and manually load the same display, the macros don't run.