5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 3:38 PM by mhamel

Element attribute aggregation

aommeren

Hello,

I have an element structure defining many process-units.
      These are all based on a template and have (for example) 3 attributes, Product, ProductGroup and LastDayProduction

To put it simple: I want to totalize the Produced tons for each ProductGroup.
      There are 8 ProductGroups so I would want to see 8 "attrubutes" holding the totals.

I know how to do this for my reports (SSRS and PI OLEDB Enterprise).

But now I want to be able to trend these totalized values and also be able to use notifaications when the target for a ProductGroup is not met. Therefore I need the results in my AF structure as attributes.

Can this be done? Can an AF analysis rule be applied and how can I unlock that feature. I am quite new to this advanced part of AF.
      Or do I have to write an ACE calc to perform the query and write the result to a PI tag that is used as a PI Point reference?

Thanks,

Ad

• Re: Element attribute aggregation

Hello Ad,

This would be another use case for Abacus but since it is not released yet my recommendation is to create PI Totalizer or PI Performance Equation tags and use them as reference with your AF Attributes.

Are the totals supposed to include the last 24 hours or how often are they supposed to reset?

If you are interested to see what Abacus will bring please look at the recording of the Builders' Café Webinar Series - Asset Based Analytics

aommeren

Hi Gregor,

In fact my question is more complex and cannot be solved using PE or Totalizers. The production in ton is already calculated on AF level from volume (PI tag) and density (Product is a PI tag), the density is then supplied by an AF table lookup using the Product as key.

Then the rollup should aggregate all calculated tons from the assets based on some selection criteria (productgroup). The product / productgroup on a unit is flexible.

For this project AF was a perfect solution and now the more advanced - and obvious - questions are coming in.

Is there a target data for the AF release which provides Asset Based Analytics?

I thought about using Formulas to write this functionality but with over 100 units this is not easy and is not best practice.

In OLEDB Enterprise it is easy to do this kind of analytics and I will use it for reporting purposes.

Is there a best way to perform this in a SP or View and feed the result(s) to an AF attribute?

Thanks,

Ad

It will be much easier to retrieve the AF data via OLEDB/E and use the aggregation in PowerPivot - by product, productgroup etc.

aommeren

Sure, I agree. When it would be purely data for reporting this would be sufficient.

However, the customer want to be able to trend aggregated values over time and use notifiations on production vs target and inventory vs permitted stock values.

Ad

mhamel

@Ad: Abacus is forecasted for Q1-Q2 2014 based on the PI System Roadmap.

Ad

Is there a best way to perform this in a SP or View and feed the result(s) to an AF attribute?

Stored Procedure is a better option than a view in general as you can optimize how you query the PI System. Although, PI OLEDB Enterprise has no writing capability so you won't be able to push back a result. You would need to create a CLR .NET Stored Procedure using AF SDK behind to do the job.

A periodically triggered PI ACE Calculation module would be also an option before Abacus is available.