5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 1:44 AM by Ahmad Fattahi

Ubuntu Edge - Hybrid phone-PC

Ahmad Fattahi

I'm sure many of you have already heard about Ubuntu Edge. It is an idea to bring the power of a PC and mobility of a smartphone together in one device. The user would carry the device around like a phone in their pocket and use it as a phone. When at home or office desk they can dock it and turn it into a PC. They are crowd funding the idea with the vision that the future belongs to this revolutionary hybrid idea. Obviously the technical challenges of compacting the computing power of a PC into a pocket device abound. It's yet to be seen how it will work out.

What do you think? Do you see the consumer market move in that direction in the years to come? How about business devices?

• Re: Ubuntu Edge - Hybrid phone-PC
          Lonnie Bowling

We have seen the desktop mostly be replaced by the laptop over the last 5-10 years, so it is not a far fetch notion that phone/tablets could do the same thing. I could see setting my phone on a desk hand have it sync with my mouse, keyboard, touch display, and multi-monitor system. The hardware has a ways to go, but 5 to 10 years from now, who knows.  Another thing to consider it how the cloud could be used.  Maybe we all have super computers running in datacenters and access viva many devices.  I think that would be pretty cool.

One thing for-sure with mobile, cloud, and connectivity, we have officially entered the post-pc era.  Not that PCs are gone, but the ways and reasons we use computing resources is rapidly changing.  More like a post-pc+ era.

Lonnie

• Re: Ubuntu Edge - Hybrid phone-PC

I don't think that Ubuntu Edge is necessarily a revolutionary hybrid idea as the tablet & laptop market has already been heading in the hybrid direction for a while. When you look at tablets like the Vaio Duo 11, Asus Transformer Book ... the concept of "portable device" and "desktop device" is in the manufacturers minds, which will mature and make its way to mobile devices & mobile OS. In fact when you consider that Samsung recently announced the Ativ Book Q that runs Windows 8 & Android Jellybean and can share folders & files between OS then it is only a matter of time before phablets are capable of running desktop level applications.
            Again, look at the MS Surface Pro. A tablet that runs desktop applications, and you can program on it with VS!  

However, I don't think we will see the post pc era in our lifetimes. Take a supercomputer for example, have you seen the size of those things? Processing power = big physical size. There is only so much miniaturisation that can go into hardware before you hit limits with process intensive applications. 

I can easily see business devices going this route, but personal devices would be less appealing (at least to me). There are already work/life balance issues by most corporations supporting 'bring your own device', having an all in one personal/business desktop/mobile device will only compound the issue.

Interesting topic though. I wonder how much of the funds raised so far is actually from end users and not other corporations/businesses with a vested interest?