6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 9:31 PM by AndrewdJ

PI Coresight Database Status Unavailable

Robert_A_Lane@rl.gov

When connecting to the /Coresight/Admin page from a local computer (my local workstation) and I go to the PI Coresight Configuration Tab, the Database status shows a red 'X' and reads "SQL Server cannot be reached. Check the server's event log for details."

If I go to  /Coresight/Admin from the server hosting Coresight, then it displays the green checkmark and reads configuration saved.

The error associated with the connection attempt from my local machine is this:

Timestamp: 1:12:41 PM
      Message: Error while testing for SQL Server connectivity: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.
      Category: AdminSite
      Priority: -1
      EventId: 0
      Severity: Error
      Title:
      Machine: PIWEB
      App Domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT/Coresight/Admin-1-130203795693010984
      ProcessId: 2968
      Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
      Thread Name:
      Win32 ThreadId:6120
      Extended Properties:

Anonymous Logon is disabled for the Coresight Application and under Admin.

The providers are set up to NTLM and negotiate. 

IE settings are "Automatic logon with current user name and password."

Web.Config settings for the connection string is: "Integrated Security=True;" and for System.Web <identity impersonate="true" />

As a further note, from my local machine I can get the PI server status and the PI AF status. So, this is either because it is useing the app pool identity or a trust mapping. My initial inclination is that it is getting an error on the database connection because of a double hop if it is using my identity, which would explain the Anonymous Logon attempt.

So, I guess my question is, why is coresight trying to connect to the database as anonymous? is it because of the double hop? Or is there something missing that I need to fix, change, or set so that it impersonates me or the application pool?

Just trying to understand my system.

Thank you for any help.

• Re: PI Coresight Database Status Unavailable
          Marcos Vainer Loeff
          Hello Robert,
          This error has occurred with both new installations and upgrades of Coresight 2012 R2.  There is a separate solution for each case presented in the solution section below.
          New install
          <!--[if supportlists=""-->1.       <!--[endif]-->Open the PI Coresight Services web.config file (in PIPC\Coresight\Services) and enter the following after <connectionStrings> and before </connectionStrings>: <!--![endif]--><!--![if-->
          <!--[if supportlists=""-->2.      8507.connectionstring2.jpg<!--![endif]--><!--![if-->
          <!--[if supportlists=""-->3.       <!--[endif]-->where <SQLserver\SQLinstance> is the SQL Server where the PI Coresight database has been created and the instance of SQL on that server where the database exists (the instance can be omitted if the database is on the default instance), and <database> is the name of the PI Coresight database (this should be created prior to adding this connection string, if no database has been created then use the go.bat script to create it).<!--![endif]--><!--![if-->
          Upgrade
          <!--[if supportlists=""-->1.       <!--[endif]-->First try to access the PI Coresight application to see if it works. If the SQL Server and database have been set correctly, everything should work properly.  <!--![endif]--><!--![if-->
          <!--[if supportlists=""-->2.       <!--[endif]-->If the Coresight application does not work check to make sure that your CoresightServiceAppPool is set properly, as this can be set to Network Service during the upgrade.  Please see  KB00757 - PI Coresight 2012 R2 sets the CoresightServiceAppPool identity to Network Service on upgrade for more details.  Try accessing the Coresight application again if your CoresightServiceAppPool was changed and you corrected it by following the steps in  KB00757 - PI Coresight 2012 R2 sets the CoresightServiceAppPool identity to Network Service on upgrade. <!--![endif]--><!--![if-->
          <!--[if supportlists=""-->3.       <!--[endif]-->If you need to make changes to the SQL Server or database, please follow the steps in Case 1 to manually correct the connection string.<!--![endif]--><!--![if-->
          Let us know if following the procedure above solves this problem,