Robert_A_Lane@rl.gov

PI Coresight Database Status Unavailable

Discussion created by Robert_A_Lane@rl.gov on Aug 7, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 by AndrewDJ

When connecting to the /Coresight/Admin page from a local computer (my local workstation) and I go to the PI Coresight Configuration Tab, the Database status shows a red 'X' and reads "SQL Server cannot be reached. Check the server's event log for details."

If I go to  /Coresight/Admin from the server hosting Coresight, then it displays the green checkmark and reads configuration saved.

The error associated with the connection attempt from my local machine is this:

Timestamp: 1:12:41 PM
Message: Error while testing for SQL Server connectivity: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.
Category: AdminSite
Priority: -1
EventId: 0
Severity: Error
Title:
Machine: PIWEB
App Domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT/Coresight/Admin-1-130203795693010984
ProcessId: 2968
Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Thread Name:
Win32 ThreadId:6120
Extended Properties:

Anonymous Logon is disabled for the Coresight Application and under Admin.

The providers are set up to NTLM and negotiate. 

IE settings are "Automatic logon with current user name and password."

Web.Config settings for the connection string is: "Integrated Security=True;" and for System.Web <identity impersonate="true" />

As a further note, from my local machine I can get the PI server status and the PI AF status. So, this is either because it is useing the app pool identity or a trust mapping. My initial inclination is that it is getting an error on the database connection because of a double hop if it is using my identity, which would explain the Anonymous Logon attempt.

So, I guess my question is, why is coresight trying to connect to the database as anonymous? is it because of the double hop? Or is there something missing that I need to fix, change, or set so that it impersonates me or the application pool?

Just trying to understand my system.

Thank you for any help.

Outcomes