14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 3:32 AM by Ahmad Fattahi

M2M App Challenge Blog Post Is Up

Lonnie Bowling

Here is the link

Sorry it is so late, this has been on my list for while to get done.

Lonnie

• Re: M2M App Challenge Blog Post Is Up

Hi Lonnie,

Exiting! Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations for the silver medal

Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks for the nice wrap up post Lonnie!

Lonnie Bowling

Thanks Gregor and Ahmad, I'm looking forward to the next one at vCampus Live!

Lonnie Bowling

Thanks Gregor and Ahmad, I'm looking forward to the next one at vCampus Live!

I cannot wait for the hackathon as VCL13! Can we starting forming alliances for the team event now?

Ahmad Fattahi

Indeed! Rhys, we are ironing out some final details of the hackathon logistics and arrangements. Once done, we start the discussion on the topics, teams, bragging, etc.

Lonnie Bowling

Hmmm, is the the year we have an "All-Star" team

Hi Lonnie,

Don't you think this could be discouraging for other teams? How about having several All-Star teams by forming teams around All-Stars?

What better motivation for the other teams than toppling the All-Stars

I would like there to be an "OSIsoft vs Community" type event. Not a full blown 48 hour hackathon but something similar.

Lonnie Bowling

@Gregor, I don't know if others would not be happy, but being an all-star does not mean we are the best, we just like to type a lot.  I have met many, many, other vCampus members that are super smart and know the PI System better than me! I mostly just want to hang out with Rhys, lol.  Anyway, I'm open to anything; it will be a lot of fun!

Hi Lonnie,

For a brief moment I thought you might be fishing for compliments  but I agree there are many knowledgeable and experienced users. You've been honored with the All-Star award not just because you like typing a lot but because you've contributed valuable feedback. This said and bearing the potential of other users in mind, I would love to see more competition for the All-Star award. It's not just the knowledge but also the experience that can be of high value for other users. Do you have any idea how to motivate other user to contribute more?

Maybe one day we will have an All-Star team competing against our All-Star veterans. Doesn't that sound great?

I really like your sportive attitude.  My personal opinion is that fun should be the main motivation when competing in a hackathon.

Lonnie Bowling

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for the compliment, my fishing was successful! (just kidding of course).  You bring up some interesting questions, I often wonder what it would take for more involvement and sharing here. I think part of the challenges is that vCampus is a private forum that is paid for by members and "owned and operated" by a company focused around a single product line.  There are a lot of barriers to overcome and to avoid this from becoming a glorified technical support medium. I can only speak from my own experiences; I happened to meet a few people here who really got me excited and starting to think more about the possibilities of PI. I started out like others, mostly asking questions and using the vast amount of resources to help solve my daily PI problems, but at some point I decided to start to contribute as much as I could.  After all, we all benefit from quality questions, answers, and ideas.

I'm not really sure why I crossed that point but I did.  Today vCampus seems to be more mature, and there is a much larger database of Q&A. Many questions I see now are actually way to complicated for me to answer.  Unlike Rhys, who can tell you why your PI Notifications soap security credentials are not working, I'm only a normal human with a normal human brain.

One idea that comes to mind is to create reasons for people to get involved other than the technical Q&A.  All-Star is one idea, but that is pretty limiting, since only a few people get the award and it tends to be competitive because of that. I think a good example is the "something interesting" thread, anyone can post anything.  Maybe someone could come-up with a game or discuss subjects that are not directly PI related, but associated in some way.  I think anything that encourages involvement would help. Once you start posting regularly, it is hard to stop, trust me! Maybe people feel like they need to either have a hard question or answer an equally hard question to have a reason to post.  Most times I post I'm not doing either (like right now). This is how we get to know each other and have a community. Maybe the typical member's view of what "contributing" is, is too narrow, and we need to try to change that?

Well, I have rambled on more that I intended. I would love to hear what others think on the subject, it is a great question!

Lonnie

Thank you Lonnie!

At the moment I would like to join you waiting curiously that others share their opinion.

I've been thinking about this and came up with a really bad analogy, so bare with me...

vCampus is like a gym. People pay a fee for the gym, see it as a service they are paying for so use it. Most people go to the gym to use some of the exercise equipment tending to use the same equipment on each visit without really using the equipment they're not familiar with; if they do venture then likely they'll ask the instructors or other people working out how to setup the piece of gym equipment to use for themselves. Once they're using the gym equipment they put their headphones in and workout, rarely making conversation with the other people working out in the gym usually just observing how they are using the equipment. Occasionally they'll start up some conversations with other members who they've seen in the gym all the time, they think that they must know what they're doing because they are in the gym so often. Like any good gym you'll get the heavy hitters over in the free weights section who are in the gym daily, lifting the heavy weights & maxing out the weight stacks on the resistance machines. Of course there are fitness fanatics who work out at home that could easily out lift the members of the gym, but they keep themselves to themselves. Usually there are times throughout the year where the gym is busier than usual, you know after new year and in the summer months but there are a core set of members that workout regardless of the time of year.  

Continuing the bad analogy...if you have a social event on at the gym then the members attend those events with a different perspective, they're not there to workout they're are there for the social event (e.g. summer bbq) and likely to strike up more conversations with other members, which next time they see them in the gym will likely continue in some more conversations. You might even attract some of those that workout at home to come to the gym's event and ultimately convince them to train at the gym more.

I'm not sure what type of gym member I am, perhaps one of those guys lifting the free weights admiring myself in the mirror

In other words, there needs to be more focus on non-forum type interactions: more webinars, regional vCampus social events (we've mentioned these in the past already), monthly fun quizzes, unusual uses of the PI System, features of home/hobby uses of the PI System (like messing around with Raspberry PIs and other small factor PCs), and an off-topic section of vCampus with nothing to do with the PI System or vCampus at all.

Just some thoughts. So what type of gym user are you? 

Ahmad Fattahi

Rhys, you are already being a out of that heavy-hitter category by this post, among other things. A few things to point out: first of all I really appreciate your post and the "bad" analogy of yours! It drives the point home. vCampus Live! is coming up so we can use that as that social event where folks start mingling and making bonds. Also, we are putting together some of these plans you are talking about. The PISYSTATS is one of those examples. We are also working on some of the other similar ideas you mentioned.

Longer term, we are considering some sort of consolidation of the OSIsoft communities to bring everyone together. The details are yet to be ironed out. However, we don't want to see a group of people here and some others in the PI Users Community hanging out on their own. This should be a great boost to the whole community.

I am curious how you think we can get more community folks engaged in creating content. DO you have any ideas for the fun quizes or home uses of the PI System?