altman80

Backfill PI Data

Discussion created by altman80 on Aug 30, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 by Gregor

We set up our PI Server in Dec 2011.  Before that we had a different historian.  It has been on my list for a while to try and import the data from the other historian but I haven't had the time to get to it yet.  We are being asked to obtain some of that data now and I would like to get that data in PI so in addition I can shut down those old servers holding the data prior to 2011.  I am currently running PI 2010 but plan to upgrade to 2012 prior to doing this.  I found some documentation on the topic but have a few questions with it.  Referring to the following document

https://livelibrary.osisoft.com/LiveLibrary/content/en/server-v2/GUID-3846AF0C-8A3A-413A-8403-F7652C96EA15

Step 2 says to make sure current data is not being sent to the tag from the interface.  I can't stop the current data from coming in to the system while I do the import.  I need current data to keep coming in.  Is there a way around this? 

On step 7 it says to delete the Pt Created event.  The Pt Created event should probably be in Dec 2011.  So do I have to delete that event prior to importing the data?

The document doesn't talk about creating archive files, but my first archive file has a start date of Dec 2011.  Prior to doing this, do I need to make archive files with start/end dates before that?  Should I make for example, one archive file for each month that I plan to import?  Is there a quick way to make archive files, I will be importing multiple years of data?

Once everything is set up I plan to write a .Net program using PI OLEDB to insert the data.

Outcomes