2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 1:57 PM by IPCOSRumaila

PI AF licensing

IPCOSRumaila

Hi,

At the customer we have a license for a PI Server which includes running PI AF.  For some reasons (e.g firewall, maintenance) we would like to run a second PI AF server next to the already running server that will connect to the licensed PI Server. Does the customer need an extra license for that? 

In this configuration one PI/AF will just contain the PI Module Database (MDB), the second PI AF Server  will handle the customer data.

Regards,

Denis  

• Re: PI AF licensing

Hello Denis,

My general recommendation is to have licensing questions discussed between the end customer and their account manager at OSIsoft.

The reasoning you describe indicates failover purpose but I am confused by the last sentence that talks about one AF Server for the MDB content and another one as pure "AF Server".

To my knowledge, if the PI System license includes HA, failover purpose for PI AF Server is as well included. This is something to confirm with the account manager.

Technically PI AF Server can be installed redundantly (please see deployment scenarios in PI AF Server 2012 Installation Guide). Inside PI AF Server one can create different "Databases" for different purposes. My recommendation is to migrate MDB content into a separate AF Database.  

• Re: PI AF licensing
              IPCOSRumaila

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for your answer. I will ask the customer to check with their account manager.

This does not concern failover. It is just that the PI-server sits behind a firewall together with the PI AF needed for the MDB.  The PI/AF that is visible for the client-applications needs to live on the other side of the firewall accessing the PI-server on port  5450  through the firewall.

The PI AF server will also be maintained by other people than the PI-server.

Regards,

Denis