7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 2:44 AM by James Devine

Training Videos in C#

Paul.Cairns

Hi folks,

I'm new to PI and programming and I am trying to build an interface to Pi but I wabt to use C# in VS 2012, can anyone tell me if there are any tutorials in C#, everything seems to be done in VB???

Look forward to any assistance given.

Cheers

Paul

• Re: Training Videos in C#
          Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Paul,

I personally prefer reading a book about C# than watching free videos. There are many books about C# in Visual Studio for beginners so it won’t be a problem to find it.

Although some might have a considerable number of pages, what is important for you to read is the part related to the C# language, which explains the concepts of Object-Oriented Programming. If you want to develop a console application using PI AF SDK, you don’t need to learn about WPF or ASP.NET, for instance.

I don’t know any website that provides free videos about this topic as a complete course. You can find some videos on YouTube, but I am sure you will learn much more by just reading some chapters of a good book for beginners related to this topic.

Paul.Cairns

Hi Marcos,

I am currently immersed in books on C# and ASP.Net, CSS, HTML 5 and Java. The problem I have is that I just don't understand what this PI system does, or how to create a DB that I can populate with test data and connect to. so I can read data from it and post data to it using either a windows form app, or more likely a Web form app. I have been looking through the training examples on the site only to discover that they are all done in VB and they all point, at some point to the PIPC\OLEDB.msc and I don't seem to have this installed. I shall continue to read through the installation guide again and make sure that I have installed this system correctly. And I shall continue to learn C#, I just figured that since the training videos are in the Training section of Vcampus, I would run through them and try to convert what I can.

Thanks for your time and constructive feedback .

Paul

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Paul,

After you have learned the basics of C#, you might want to take a look not only on the Training Center but also the Auditorium, where you can find videos from vCampus exclusive webinars about most of our PI System Access products. The good news is that you can download some sample code packages used during the webinar.

You might also take a look at the vCampus Live! material which could be downloaded from the Download Center under Extras category.

Hope this helps you!

skwan

Hi Paul:

Based on your questions, it seems that maybe you're very new to the PI System.  The PI System consists of many parts and components with the data archive being one of the core components.  It stores time series data (time stamp + value) in a proprietary database format.  You may have come across the term "archive", which is a term we use to describe files that store time series data on disk.  As you can imagine, there's a lot of introductory material that can help you first understand what the PI System is, then on how to interact with it either via OSIsoft client tools or via customer applications.  In addition to all the information that's been mentioned in this thread, I would invite you to view our free training material on YouTube.  Simply search for PI System and you will find many videos that hopefully can help you understand what the PI System is and what it can do.  If I mis-interpreted your original question, please let me know.

Paul.Cairns

Marcos and Steve,

Thank you so much for your help, I can see it's a large undertaking I have moved in to, no doubt I'm gonna have a gazillion questions along the way, but I'll go check out all the training material you guys have on line.

Steve you are very correct in that I am very new to the PI system, so I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks again guys, have a good day.

Paul

kholstein

Paul,

I know it has been a while, but now there are also several developer courses available on the community. Specifically, you might find Developing Applications with PI AF SDK Online Course or  Programming in PI Web API Online Course useful. There should also be more courses on data access technologies released in the future!

James Devine

Hi Paul:

I would just like to add there is a treasure chest of C# code examples in the AFSDK.chm help files typically located in the C:/Program Files(x86)/PIPC/help directory of your PI Server. It has the fundamental steps to building an application in C# or VB.net from connecting to your PI Server, or your PI AF Server, extracting data, and outputting it in various formats. The following image shows what I mean:

afsdk.chm.001.png

If you are new to C# I can recommend a free resource (text based), which is CSharp-Station.com. If you are willing to pay a little for outstanding video instruction I would suggest 'C# Essential Training' published by Lynda.com