4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 4:11 PM by Dag Reppen

Launch Splash Screen from Custom Delivery Channel

Dag Reppen

I am attempting to create a custom delivery channel for PI System Explorer that will launch a custom splash screen when a notification is triggered. I have attempted this a couple ways:

1. Integrating the windows form code directly into the Visual Studio project.
      2. Creating an external "splashscreen.exe" and just launching that from the code.

Neither has been successful. I am able to register the plugin and assign it as a delivery endpoint to our notifications, but upon triggering, I receive the SendError: "Empty Recipient Email". I have perused the sample custom delivery channel plugins (HTML, XML) and am unable to find how to allow this plugin to fully run without a specified contact. Any examples or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Launch Splash Screen from Custom Delivery Channel
          Mike Zboray

Hey Dag,

I don't think a delivery channel by itself is going to achieve what you want to do. Have you seen Desktop Alerts (it comes with the Notifications client)? It will show a toast message and play a sound when a Notification that the user is subscribed is triggered. Do you want to achieve something like that? A delivery channel alone is not going to be able to do that and PSE doesn't not support loading third-party plugin tabs (a plugin tab is something like Notifications, MyPI, or Contacts).

Also "Empty Recipient Email" sounds like an error from the Email delivery channel, not your custom one (unless you've put that string into your custom delivery channel to confuse people!).

Mike

Dag Reppen

Thanks for the response, Mike. Yes, we have Desktop Alerts and were hoping to create something along the same lines only larger and with more information. I figured that simply launching a .exe from the custom delivery channel would be a futile endeavor. However, if you are able to use the delivery channel to create and populate a .xml file I thought "why wouldn't it be able to launch a Windows Form?"

And I agree that the error sounds like it would be more appropriate for a channel that actually involves a contact, but there is no code in my custom channel that involves an email recipient in any way.

Mike Zboray

Dag,

It might be possible to do something like that but your architecture would need some more layers. The delivery channel is going to be executed by the Notifications service (a different user than the client) on a different machine than the client. So there's no way you could have a form popup on a client simply by putting code in the delivery channel. You need someway to get that data from the server to the client. You need an intermediate service that the delivery channel would send messages to and the client would retrieve messages from (sounds a lot like an email doesn't it).

Notifications Desktop Alerts work differently. It is more of a passive process where Desktop Alerts signs up for updates with the history PI server. It receives information on new notification events via changes to the history tags on the server. It does not use a delivery channel directly, however it does do a search in AF and only signs up for Notifications the user is subscribed to.

It sounds like the service thinks your notification contact is using an email delivery channel that is not configured properly. I would try restarting the service and see if I get the same error message again. If so, something is wrong with your delivery channel registration.

Mike