1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 3:01 PM by Gregor

Processbook as a Desktop Application

mikeloria

We recently have been embracing thin clients with PXE boot that run published desktop applications such as SCADA (Cimplcity , IFIX) and terminal client such as Reflections,... The application actually is running on a server and is provided via Windows Remote Desktop Published Applications. I have found that it is possible to provide Processbook in the same manner and even specify a particular display to open. To take it a step further, I am considering to publish Processbook directly from the PI Server(s). We have 2 servers in HA (primary and secondary) and I would load balance between the 2. The premise for this is that our servers are becoming more and more powerful. Our RAM, the number of CPUs, and the CPU power has doubled recently. I see no issue in doing this.

Can anyone see a drawback to this or an issue. Any comments or suggestions to this architecture? 

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

• Re: Processbook as a Desktop Application

Hello Mike,

I understand that you would like to make PI ProcessBook available through Remote Desktop Services (RDS). You intend to use the PI Server nodes to function as RDS servers at the same time. Not sure how you would load balance between your primary and secondary PI Server node but I believe using the PI Server nodes as RDS servers at the same time is not a good idea for the following reasons:

1. Server applications are used to aggressively use resources. This is one reason we generally don't recommend running other server applications on PI Server hosts.

2. There might be a negative impact on availability e.g. in case of maintenance or unplanned downtimes. Again, I am unsure how you would achieve load balancing so it might be you've considered this topic already.

3. PI Server security is likely the major concern with the setup you plan, since RDS increases the risk to become a victim of a cyber attack.