1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 10:37 AM by Gregor

PI Server Restore From Image

rickark

Hey All,
                 Just wondering from anyones experience how a PI Server behaves if it is restored from an image?  My system is a HA colective at externally managed data centres.  The VM's are backed up Incrementally daily and Fully every week.  As part of disaster recovery in the case the Primary was lost, the image was restored from the backup, missing archives are created and then back filled via PItoPI from the Secondary.  Is this a feasable and valid plan?

Cheers,
      Karl

• Re: PI Server Restore From Image

Hello Karl,

Your "backup strategy" fully relies on VM functionality. I don't believe that this is a good idea for a production PI System. What happens if in case of a hardware failure of your VM host(s)? You should aim for a solution that considers a minimum of data loss for your worst case scenario. Hence I recommend setting up PI Backup on the Primary and on Secondary nodes. To avoid PI Backup files become lost when you need to restore a previous snapshot of a VM, I suggest copying the files over to a storage that is independent from the VM environment.

A tip, if there is a gap with archive files on whatever collective member, you can synchronize / copy missing files from another collective member and mount those archives. Because all members of a PI Collective archive independently, archive start and end times usually drift apart. Hence you may want to go back to the last synchronization, the point in time where the oldest archive is the same on all collective members. PI Collective manager can be used to force a synchronization on secondary collective members. The procedure includes taking a backup of the Primary (including selected archives), copying the files to the secondary nodes archive location and registering those archives. The archive registration is build from scratch causing that only those archives are registered that were synchronized. Hence additional (older) archives may need to be registered after the synchronization but this can be done with a single command. Please see the following example:

piartool -ar D:\PI\dat\piarch.0*