4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 4:51 PM by marco.zoccoli

TimeWeighted: RateSampleMode options

marco.zoccoli

Dear all, I have few questions on the topic:

1) which is the difference beetwen RateSampleMode options such as Natural and Scan1?

2) what are the impacts on calculations (average and/or standard deviation for samples)?

3) where can i set / flag "Natural" or "Scan1" mode on PI SMT? How can I customize this option?

thx!

• Re: TimeWeighted: RateSampleMode options

Hello Marco,

I believe you are referring to PI Totalizer Subsystem. PI Live Library is in beta status but with regards to PI Totalizer it's a good resource. Please start here.

Marco Zoccoli

1) which is the difference beetwen RateSampleMode options such as Natural and Scan1?

Please see RateSampleMode and sub topics.

Marco Zoccoli

2) what are the impacts on calculations (average and/or standard deviation for samples)?

Sorry but this question isn't that simple to answer. It's partly explained with RateSampleMode descriptions but there are other attributes that as well have an impact on calculation results.

Marco Zoccoli

3) where can i set / flag "Natural" or "Scan1" mode on PI SMT? How can I customize this option?

This is done using PI Totalizer plug-in for PI SMT (Points -> Totalizers). The "Sampling" tab is where you maintain the RateSampleMode.

1104.Clipboard03.jpg

marco.zoccoli

Thx a lot,

Just one more question:

where I can change/customize the RateSampleMode on Datalink? is there a tab "sampling" like the one you printed above?

Hello Marco,

You would use PI SMT Tag Builder add-in (%PIHOME%\SMT\PITagCnf.xla) for Microsoft Excel for this purpose. Please be sure setting the Point class to "Totalizer" when importing and exporting tag configuration.

8524.Clipboard05.jpg

You'll find the RateSampleMode attribute within the column titled "RateSampleMode". Settings are the ones described in the documentation but depending on the selection you may have to provide additional parameters with other attributes.

3666.Clipboard06.jpg

PI SMT Tag Builder add-in is the optimal tool to maintain the settings for a bunch of tags at the same time but it can be challenging with PI Totalizer tags to figure out what change in PI SMT -> Points -> Totalizer affect what attribute. The Tag Builder add-in for Excel is more "honest" since it shows the attributes as they exist within the tags configuration while Totalizer add-in for PI SMT's Graphical User Interface (GUI) is designed to make things "easier" for users.