12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 10:44 PM by Gregor

PI Restore question

eradwan

Hi there,

A production system with 120K plus tags, I want - thru Excel tag configurator - to import a subset only of the tags - say around 5K - in my dev system. I will also restore the last three archives from the production system and then enable the tag simulator; my question is, having the fact that those three archives contain data for all tags; what is the possible effect when restored on the dev system with only part of the tags created?

Regards,

Emad.

• Re: PI Restore question
          lZheng

Hi Emad,

If I understand correctly, you want to first create those 5K tags on your dev server, then move the last three archives from the prod system to dev box. I don't think the system will run properly if you use the old primary archive to place your new one, as the point database, snapshot table and the primary archive need to be in sync. If you create 5k new tags on your dev server, they will have different PointID and Record Number, so this method won't work.

The easier way would be to create 5K pitopi tags on your dev server, then use PItoPi interface sending data from your prod server to dev server for those 5 K tags, do not replace the primary archive with the one from old server.

Hello Emad,

In case you have only a subset of the points from the production server on your development server, I don't expect any bad impact. You simply will not be able to access data of the points that do not exist.

However, there's an issue with your approach. The pointID is increased with every single tag that you create. This said, it's pretty likely that points created on the production PI Server will have different pointID's than those you create on your vCampus development PI Server. Under the assumption the point type can be interpreted you will see data belonging to other tags.

It's possible to create a point conversion table with translations of pointID's on the production PI Server to pointID's on your development PI Server. Reprocessing archives against this point conversion table will cause the pointID's used within archives will be replaced with the ones from the conversion table.

What we recommend in cases like yours, is that you use PI to PI Interface to pull data from your production PI Server into your development PI Server. PI to PI Interface is available at vCampus Download Center -> PI Interfaces. You can

- Create tags as you suggested
            - Set up PI to PI Interface to identify tags by name. I assume you will have to change point source and Location1 parameter of the tags on your development PI Server in any case but the interface can be configured to pull data from tags with names equal to the destination.
            - Create archive files to cover the periods you like to backfill. Sorry but you will have to estimate how many archives you will need.
            - Run your PI to PI Interface instance for history recovery mode (with the start time equal to the history period start)

eradwan

Many thanks Lingli and Gregor. Looks like you agree on Pi2Pi, however, and before trying that, what about making a full backup and restore between both servers and then delete the un-needed tags from dev? But what about the licensing part on dev?

Hello Emad,

Your personal vCampus development PI System is limited to 10k tags. Hence you are not allowed to run it with 120k. I however believe it's acceptable if you reduce the tag count to 10k or less as soon as you've restored from the backup. Technically - without having tested it - your approach could work. Nevertheless, the described procedure based on PI to PI Interface is the official recommendation. When restoring, please make sure you do not replace the license file.

eradwan

Hi Gregor,

The problem with the PI to PI is that our production system is behind a firewall and accessibility is an issue here, and even if I managed to get access it'll be temporary and my understanding for PI2PI is it needs to be alive all the time to synch data, right? that's why I liked the idea of restoring a set of archives which bring the data for few days and have the simulator to provide similar values.

Hello Emad,

PI to PI only has to be "alive" while it's supposed to be updating data on the destination with data from the source. When restoring a backup you only transfer the history at that point in time. Similar should be possible using PI to PI Interface until historical data is transferred. Your alternative approach may work but there's no guarantee it will.

eradwan

Hi Gregor,

I was under the wrong understanding that PI2PI is for live data transfer only, but if it'll also recover historical data, then it'll do the job; I'll give it a try; many thanks.

eradwan

Hi,

Does it matter if the PI server and SDK version is different between both nodes as I'm getting this error while connecting. "Verify the local pinetmgr service and the remote PI system are running"

mhalhead

Hi Emad,

Within realistic limits no; what I means that a 1.2 SDK probably won't be happy with a 3.5 version PI.

lZheng

Hi Emad,

What is your Pi server version? It may be more of a security issue. If you are trying to set up the PitoPI interface,  please check if you have proper trusts created.

eradwan

Hi,

Here is what I'm doing to test the connection, using Smt tools from my machine with sdk 1.4 to the server which is 3.4. I can ping the server but nothing in the server's message logs is showing that i'm hitting it, is there any setting on my PC that can block the communication. Just to clear the doulbt about the client before concentrating the troubleshooting on the server.

Hello Emad,

You will not find any ping trace within the PI Server's log.

You mentioned with an earlier post that the PI Server is behind a firewall. PI SDK and PI API communication to the PI Server requires port 5450 open for TCP protocol communication. The error you are getting would be a candidate in case communication through port 5450 doesn't work.