6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 4:14 PM by mhamel

Programatically switching between multiple collective members in Processbook display

knightk

Hi,

I just thought I would check if anyone has tried the same, to implement some form of collective node member switching from within a PB display? I need to monitor a large collective with multiple nodes, and many disparate interfaces, of which some are HA aware, some aren't, some write to one node, some write to another, PITOPI being used to keep them all in some sort of sync. a whole host of manual entry interfaces etc...ensuring the nodes are all in sync is becoming a challenge and it would be nice to streamline our daily health check view with a drop down menu listing all the nodes in the collective and the ability to be able to refresh the display against each member. Is there a simple way of doing this?

• Re: Programatically switching between multiple collective members in Processbook display

Hello Keilan,

Why aren't you using n-way buffering to fan events to all Collective members?

What you are asking for is built in ProcessBook functionality. Please see menu "File" -> "Connections..."

• Re: Programatically switching between multiple collective members in Processbook display
              knightk

Hi Gregor,

Most of our instances are using N-Way Buffering but in case of legacy systems where the PI team have no access to change the setup (and app teams have no budget!) we have to improvise! But it is not always just a case of seeing that the data is replicated, eg. it's handy being to able to trend each server individually in case we spot some common signs of problems like corrupt archives, corrupt event queues, data mismatches etc. We have a multiple collective memebrs, and different applications are reading from different collective members aswell so having them in sync at all times is crucial.

We use the native PI-SDK switch member capaibility in Processbook through connection manager, however this restricts us to one secondary server at a time , without modifying the member priority each time, and the manual effort required in doing so everyday has failed us in the past, I'd like the support team to be able to switch freely between members in their health check sheet and be sure which member they are looking at etc.

If I do this via SDK in VBA, do I need to define all my trends in VBA aswell, or is there just some simple way to expose that switch member functionality with custom control buttons? Thanks!

Hello Keilan,

The following snippet is about how you can display the path of the Collective member ProcessBook is currently connected to in a Microsoft Forms 2.0 Label.

Private Sub Display_DataUpdate()
                      Dim srv As PISDK.Server
                      Set srv = PISDK.Servers.DefaultServer()
                      Label1.Caption = mysrv.Path
                  End Sub

Please note that it isn't necessary to open the connection. I've used the default connection from within the Known Servers Table (KST) but you can also specify non default connections by their identifier.

Switching between members is done via ProcessBook menu as mentioned earlier.