7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 9:31 AM by Roger Palmen

OPC UA?

mikeloria

The following link is an article from 2009 and states that OSISoft is actively developing an OPC UA solution. 

http://www.osisoft.com/templates/item-abstract.aspx?id=4008

I have not been able to find this solution or any additional information on the Status of PI supporting OPC UA. Could someone please provide an update on this?

Thank You

• Re: OPC UA?
          xwang

Hi Mike,

Please allow me to contact our developer and product manager to verify the current status of this products.  Sorry about this.

Xi Wang

vCampus team

Roger Palmen

The last i heard is that an OP UA Server is under development, but nothing confirmed yet.

An OPC UA interface (from external to PI server) is as far as i know not on any radar, and frankly there is very little demand for that anyway. There's always a workaround using a proxy to convert between OPC and OPC-UA to interface to OPC-UA.

May i be so frank as what the demand for OPC-UA is you have? In all these years, i have seen not a single one that did not have an alternative option to create an interface that fit the requirements just as good as OPC-UA.

hanyong

Hi Mike,

Just to add to the status of PI OPC UA Server development. Referring to response from Steve Pilon in 2012, the development for PI OPC UA Server has basically been put on halt. As Roger pointed out, the demand to use or adopt OPC UA standard haven't really picked up, which is probably the main reason for this.

mhalhead

OPC UA is considerably more than the model aspect. One of the big changes was the unification of the data types between the various OPC specification. I wouldn't see much benefit having an OPC UA server for PI (I'm including AF in this) most of the "enterprise" systems don't know OPC. But I do see some benefit implementing the later versions of the DA specification; moving away from DCOM would be a good thing.

Roger Palmen

Michael,

The latest OPC DA specification is v3.0 from 2003 and relies on DCOM. While i like the DCOM technology for it's merits, there are too many drawbacks in todays environments i must agree.

By 'later versions of DA' do you mean the sections of UA that support the same functionality as DA?

Roger

mhalhead

Hi Roger,

UA Part 8 or XML-DA both offer Data Access functionality without being tied to DCOM.

I agree that DCOM had its merits but it is being de-emphasized by Microsoft and the security is becoming increasingly painful. Ironically because the security settings on DCOM are none trivial I find that most OPC servers in the wild are using security hacks that compromise the security of the control systems; thinks like shared administrator account or service accounts with administrator level privileges on the OPC server (rather than the recommended practice of least privileges).

Roger Palmen

Thanks for the clarification! I was afraid i missed something on 'classic' OPC-DA, but this is clearly UA or XML-DA.

Agree that there do exist good best practices for DCOM security, but i think due to the fact that OPC typically reaches into the control level, non-domain controllers, etc. That organising the implementation of a good best practice has been very difficult.