3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 1:39 PM by Gregor

Alarms and Tags

larsoleruben

Hi

Does the "PI OPC Alarms & Events Interface" make a PI-POINT (TAG) for every alarm or event there is? Or are they stored in the same tag as values. 

Regards

Lars

• Re: Alarms and Tags

Hello Lars,

Not all Alarms and Events become stored in a single PI tag. Please allow me referring you to PI Interface for OPC Alarm & Events page at OSIsoft Technical Support web. You may want to download and read through the belonging User Manual. I recommend starting with Chapter 2. Principles of Operation to read about Simple, Tracking and Condition-related events. As with other interfaces, I find it useful reading through the usage of PI Point attributes with a specific interface. Please refer to Chapter 8. PI Point Configuration.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              larsoleruben

Hello Gregor

I did read that, but I don't fully comprehend the meaning I am afraid :-)

Each of our windturbines has more than 1000 alarms and event codes. Would this interface create one PI String TAG for each, or are they grouped together after som rules I can define?

I mean with more than 1000 turbines and more than 1000 alarms for each we end up with more than a million TAGS. Would that be feasable and are string tags limited according to the license?

Hello Lars,

As mentioned in the manual, Alarm & Events items can have multiple attributes where some of them fall into Alarm & Events standard and some can be vendor specific. There's also quality and severity information available and depending on the interface configuration PI Interface for Alarm & Events will create PI tags to store quality and severity information (or not). My understanding is that it is possible to store multiple event attribute values in a single PI tag by using "Simple Events" configuration. If I am not mistaken, this would allow you to store information (the information you are interested in) for a single turbine within a single PI Tag. Event categories can be used to group / select event attributes.

For the question "How are data streams taken into account depending on PI Server version and package type?" please see Technical Support Knowledge Base article # 3157OSI8. The short answer is PI Tags are counted against the server size licensed e.g. with your personal vCampus PI System the size is 10k points. There is no difference because of the data type or with other words, String isn't more expensive than other data types. There's as well no limit on particular data types. With regards to licensing it doesn't matter if you create all your tags as Int16 or as String data types. For sure there are differences between data types like precision, the space they consume and because of this the impact on the performance.

1 of 1 people found this helpful