8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 3:18 PM by Gregor

Editing new tag attributes on PI SMT

emladeira

Hello all:

We added new attributes to PI tags, but we only edit them using PI Tag Configurator  (MS Excel addin).

Is it possible customize PI SMT 3 for viewing and editing these new attibutes?

Regards,

Eduardo Ladeira

• Re: Editing new tag attributes on PI SMT
          mhalhead

Hi Eduardo,

When you say you've added new attributes to a PI Tag what do you mean? A PI Point has a fixed number of parameters depending on its class. You can edit these points in SMT using the "Point Buider" for classic points, Totalisers for Totalisers, ... these tools are all under the Points menu on SMT (screenshot below). Excel is the best way to do this on mass.

7573.smt.png

emladeira

Michael, I will try to explain:

I created a new attribute set and I included many tag attributes. After that I edited the base point class adding that new attribute set.

I know that its possible edit them using Excel. My question is if its possible to edit these new attributes using PI SMT 3.

mhalhead

Hi Eduardo,

To be honest I would have to experiment, I've never changed the attributes on the base point class. If I find anything useful I will let you know.

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hi Eduardo,

I know it is possible to do it since when you install “PI Server com Connector for OLEDB Data Sources”, it creates a new point class and new attributes which could be seen in PI SMT. However, I need to do some research in order to find out about how this could be done and if users have permission to do it.

I will give you a feedback soon.

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hi Eduardo,

I have checked with the developer and I find out that it is not possible to customize the appearance on PI SMT of new point class you have created.  Nevertheless, did you notice the 4th tab name should be your point class name and should show you the point class attributes that aren’t part of the classic point type?

At least that’s how it works with Alarm/SQCAlarm/COM Connectors.  

Let me know if that’s not the case.

Bannikov

As far as I remember, after new point class has been created, PI SMT was able to show a new tab with all new added attributes.

Please have a look on my screenshot - I've just checked this - it's OK

5241.OLE.png

But I never tried to edit existing point classes. I wonder if that's possible at all.

emladeira

Sergey:

Yes, when I tested, I could see the new attributes on PI SMT, like your screenshot. I know that its possible to edit them using PI Tag Configurator (Excel), but it dosesn't run on 64-bit Excel 2010.

Eduardo Ladeira

Hello Eduardo,

You've derived a new point class from class "base" as custom point class with additional attributes. This is possible but I consider valid use cases being very seldom especially because PI AF Server has become an integrated part of the PI System and I would expect that asset related Attributes can today be stored with Elements inside AF. I also expect you may be running into issue when serving points assigned to your custom point class with PI Interfaces. Can you possibly share some insight on what kind of attributes you've added and what they will be used for?

With regards to the issue with 64-bit Excel, please allow me referring you to Enhancement request # 21785OSI8