45 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 1:04 PM by Gregor

PI Coresight is not running in Virtual Learning Environment

subhrajeet

Hello,

I tried to open PI Coresight in IE in Virtual Learning environment but it's not getting opened. It's asking for Credentials which I think should not ask.

So, I checked the 'Server manager --> Roles' and found that 'Web Services (IIS)' is showing some error(red cross).

Could you please suggest here.

Thanks,

Subhrajeet

• Re: PI Coresight is not running in Virtual Learning Environment

Hello Subhrajeet,

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience. Skytap recently applied an update. Since there appear to be different kind of issues with the Virtual Learning environment. We are looking into getting those issues fixed.

subhrajeet

Thanks Gregor for the reply. How much time we are expecting here for the issues to get fixed. I need to work on a demo for my client.

Hello Subhrajeet,

I am sorry but I don't have the answer to your question at this point in time. For what date is your demo scheduled?

Please allow me to suggest an alternative approach for your demo. You'll find all required software to set up a demo system at vCampus Download Center. The 30 days temporary license file available at vCampus Download Center is intended to support such demo or test installations. The 30 days start to count with the PI Server installation.

I recognize that using the VLE would be less effort for you. Hence again, please accept our apology for the inconvenience.

Pablo Benvenuto

Hi Subhrajeet,

this issue has been resolved. Just launch a new session of the VLE to start using PI Coresight.  Please let us know if you have any other issues.

Regards,

Pablo

subhrajeet

Thanks Pablo for the effort. Now I am able to use PI Coresight.

One query: I added one database in PI AF and added this AF db in Coresight/admin page by selecting and saving the changes. But I am not able to see this AF DB in main application website.

Could you please help in this.

Regards,

Subhrajeet.

Hello Subhrajeet,

Can you please post a screenshot of the Coresight Admin page http://pi-system-2010:8080/Coresight/Admin?

I am mainly interested in the "Allowed AF Servers / Databases" see below. If there's any setting showing with a different symbol than the green check arrow, please post a screenshot of this too.

1374.AllowedAFServers.jpg

subhrajeet

Hello Gregor,

I am using VLE since 2 days and sorry for my ignorance. Somehow, the AF db 'Refinery_Demo' which I created got deleted as I had exited my existing session.

Are all the DB that are visible (screen-shot attached by you) in the AF created by vCampus guys?

If I create any AF DB, it may get deleted when I exit the session. Is it?

Regards,

Subhrajeet.

subhrajeet

Hello Gregor,

Can I use one of the existing AF db for creating my refinery hierarchy?

Hello Subhrajeet,

Subhrajeet Chand

Can I use one of the existing AF db for creating my refinery hierarchy?

Yes, you can but please keep in mind that all the changes are not persistent. This is true for AF Database content as well as for PI Coresight displays you may want to prepare. There's the ability to export AF content to XML, upload it e.g. to a ftp server. This way, you may be able to quickly "rebuild" AF content.

subhrajeet

Thanks Gregor for the valuable info. Taking back-up is important here.

subhrajeet

Hello Gregor,

Can we customize our PI Coresight displays with the help of back-end coding like in PI ProcessBook?

Regards,

Subhrajeet

subhrajeet

Hello,

Can we customize our PI Coresight displays with the help of back-end coding like in PI ProcessBook?

Regards,

Subhrajeet

tlebay

PI Coresight does not currently support scripting like you can do in PI ProcessBook with VBA code,  You can use URL parameters in various ways to adjust existing displays or to create ad hoc displays.  Please see the section "Integrating PI Coresight with other applications" in the PI Coresight Administration Guide for more details.

subhrajeet

Thanks Tom.

Is it possible to show color symbols like 'Green for ON status' and 'Red for OFF status' in PI Coresight? (Another feature in PI Process Book or MS Excel)

Regards,

Subhrajeet

tlebay

Sorry, PI Coresight does not allow configuration of colors or conditional color changes.  In the next release, PI Coresight 2014, you will be able to import PI ProcessBook displays as a way to get this functionality in a thin client.

subhrajeet

Hello,

Is it possible to TRANSPOSE the table in PI Coresight? Also, can we change the shape of VALUE symbol (Value box shape).

Regards,

Subhrajeet

subhrajeet

Hello,

How can we edit the tag name/AF attribute name in the PI Coresight table? Because the text can be edited in the VALUE symbol.

PFA

Regards,

Subhrajeet

4265.Name-is-not-editable-in-PI-Coresight-table.jpg

Hello Subhrajeet,

PI Coresight is intended to quickly create displays. There are only a few options on modifying symbols. You can chose what columns / information you would like to show in a table but I wouldn't know you can transpose the table. I also wouldn't know it is possible to change the shape of the Value symbol.

With Value symbols it is possible to select different ways to show the underlying PI tag's / AF attribute's name or it's description. It's also possible to overwrite a Value's title with a custom text. Similar isn't possible with the Table symbol. Again, it's possible to chose between different information but none of the column allows customization.

subhrajeet

Hello,

Can we create LINKs in PI Coresight displays?

or,

Can the Links be created on the Left panel of PI Coresight application window? So that we can click on it and the display would populate the data in a table.

Like if we click 'A' in left panel -> table shows A's data

we click 'B' in left panel -> table shows B's data and so on.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

subhrajeet

Hello,

How can I see the displays made in PI Coresight for a specific PI and AF server in the PI Coresight Apple iStore app downloaded in iPhone?

Basically, I want to access the PI server in the Coresight App in iPhone to see my views. Please help.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

Your PI Coresight server must be available to iPad users through Internet or Intranet. To configure the PI Coresight client on your iPad enter the Settings, look for the PI Coresight settings and modify the default "demo" settings.  

subhrajeet

Hello Gregor,

Can we create LINKs in PI Coresight displays?

or,

Can the Links be created on the Left panel of PI Coresight application window? So that we can click on it and the display would populate the data in a table.

Like if we click 'A' in left panel -> table shows A's data

we click 'B' in left panel -> table shows B's data and so on.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

subhrajeet

Hello,

Can we acheive similar feature in PI Coresight like the 'Element Relative Display' in PI ProcessBook?

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

You get similar to the functionality of ERD through "Related Elements and Events". The "Assets" view shows related Elements. By clicking the Icon in front of another Element, the display will update with data of the selected Element. Please note that this functionality isn't available with the iPad client.

There exists enhancement request # 97825 to support URL's through text / label symbols.

subhrajeet

Thanks Gregor for the iPad settings info and the 'Assets' view details. I was going to the 'Asset' left-side panel many times but never realized that what I was looking for is there only.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

subhrajeet

Hello Gregor,

Accessing PI Coresight server in iPad:

My concern: For a website to be available in internet/intranet it first needs to be published (like normal web in Visual Studio) and hosted in the web. As PI Coresight is configured and build in the browser how it can be made available in internet.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

The Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) is for learning purposes. I doubt you will be able accessing the PI Coresight instance within the VLE through the internet. This said, you will have to install and maintain your own PI Coresight instance in order to connect the iPad client. Within the scope of your vCampus subscription, you can use the PI Coresight setup kit available at vCampus Download Center and connect to your individual vCampus PI System. For production usage, you / your company will have to purchase a PI Coresight license.

subhrajeet

Hello,

Can I be able to access my PI Coresight website on iPad with my vCampus user license (It is not a Production license) ?

The DNS name and SSL certificate is created to access the Coresight URL in the Internet. While I try to use the URL in IE browser I get the below error:

0576.03-Error-page-_2D00_-URL.jpg

Could you please Help here. What am I missing?

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

Have you configured the credentials the PI Coresight iPad up is supposed to use?

Within the Settings for the iPad you should find PI Coresight. You need to provide the credentials for an account that has access to your PI Coresight installation.

subhrajeet

Hello,

1. I made a PI Coresight web application in the Windows Server 2008 (Network machine). It is working fine in the server 2008 IE browser. I made this using Windows authentication.

Now, I want to access this in internet and also in iPad.

For this (according to PI Coresight Admin guide),

In the Server ->IIS 7 manager

1. In IIS manager for Coresight website, I enabled 'Basic Authentication' and 'Deleted the NTLM from Windows auth Providers'

2. In PIPC -> Coresight -> Services -> web.config file, I changed 'httpTransport' to 'httpsTransport'

3. Also in PIPC -> Coresight -> Services -> web.config file, changed 'Security mode to TRANSPORT' and 'clientcredentialtype to BASIC' (as in Admin guide).

4. Asked our network team to create a DNS name for URL to be used on internet and create the SSL certificate. (Done by n/w team)

Now, I am getting error for the URL (whose snap I posted on last mail) in my local machine using my Windows credentials for the server. Could you please help?

My Assumption: Do I need map the SSL certificate (made by n/w team for the URL) to my Coresight website in IIS in the server.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

I am looking at KB00769 - Supported Authentication Methods for the PI Coresight iPad App. The Certificate needs to be referenced within the IIS Settings. After doing some research within OSIsoft Technical Support database, I believe you may have disabled Windows authentication and therefore might be seeing "PI Coresight is unavailable". The PI Coresight server still requires Windows Authentication enabled. Please only remove NTLM from the list of supported protocols.

If this doesn't help, I suggest opening a ticket at Technical Support. We can do this for you so you would be contacted by a Technical Support engineer that is informed about your issue already. Please let us know. 

subhrajeet

Thanks Gregor.

I was checking the link provided by you and found that the only thing missing from my side is that the 'Certificate needs to be referenced within the IIS Settings'.

Apart from that every other settings were already enabled. So, I am in contact with my n/w team for the SSL certificate details so that I can link it to my Coresight website in server.

If this doesnot help then I'll log a ticket in techSupport.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

subhrajeet

Hello,

1. Can PI Coresight website work on Port numbers other than 80 (http) and 443 (https) ?

Because the server I am using has other applications running in the 'Default Web Site' which is using Port 80 (http). So, I need to make a new Website with a different Port number and not inside 'Default Web Site'

And also, the link (KB00769 - Supported Authentication Methods for the PI Coresight iPad App) says to remove 'Http binding i.e. Port 80 for Coresight IIS website' and 'add Https Binding i.e. Port 443'

2. Is this a requirement i.e. 'Port 80' and 'Default Web Site' in the IIS settings for Coresight?

Without using 'Port 80' and 'Default Web Site' for new Coresight IIS website; I am not able to configure 'Coresight admin web page'.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Mob- 07893077713

Hello Subhrajeet,

Subhrajeet Chand

1. Can PI Coresight website work on Port numbers other than 80 (http) and 443 (https) ?

Yes, sure. The port is a Site setting which is set through IIS -> Site Bindings.

subhrajeet

Hello Gregor,

Thanks. My coresight URL is now up on internet.

It uses my 'security\user account' and password as I configured the system as a Network user on the server. Also, I am not the 'Admin' on the server. Now, I want other Users to view it on internet through their credentials.

Can It done by "adding PI Identities in server" or "a domain account needs to be created for PI Coresight application" or "adding users to 'PI Coresight Users' group" ?

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

When installing PI Coresight a user Group "PI Coresight Users" is created. This group is intended to control access to PI Coresight. Per default you will find an entry "NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users". This entry is supposed to grant access to users that can be authenticated on OS level either with a local or a domain account. Hence there's usually no need to add accounts to "PI Coresight Users" group. You only need to care users have a Windows account to log on with.

subhrajeet

Hello,

Thanks for the solution. The website runs fine on Internet.

Currently, I am facing problem to run my application on iPhone Coresight app from App store.

Following are the Configurations done in IIS manager in server:

8321.01-Root.JPG

1. In CoresightPOC iis website:

Authentication tab- all disabled

SSL settings- Require SSL ticked and 'Ignore' selected

2. In Coresight application level:

Authentication tab- only 'Basic' enabled

SSL settings- Require SSL ticked and 'Ignore' selected

3. PIPC -> Coresight -> Services -> web.config file:

a) 'Transportcredentialonly' to 'Transport'

b) 'NTLM' to 'Basic'

c) 'httpTransport' to 'httpsTransport'

d) AuthenticationScheme is 'Negotiate' to 'Basic'

4. As user-name and password, I use my 'security\user-account' and password as I configured the system as a Network user on the server. The same I use to connect to iPhone.

But I am not able to search my 'PI System'. Could you please helping in mentioning the options to enable in iPhone app (I checked the youtube vid but it's not helping).

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

Did you set up the Coresight app for iPhone with appropriate credentials?

subhrajeet

Hello,

I installed from the app store.

In the iPhone PI Coresight settings:

1. Username: I gave my credentials 'security\user-account' (this is the same that I use to open the URL in web)

2. PI Coresight Server address: I gave the URL with 'https'

3. Trusted Connections: Kept green i.e. required

In the Coresight app: (Here, it asks for my password which I provide)

1. Search PI System: I enter my PI Server name but I am not able to see my displays

This is the set-up I do.

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

Subhrajeet Chand

1. Username: I gave my credentials 'security\user-account' (this is the same that I use to open the URL in web)

'security\user-account' somehow looks like a built in account reference to me. Is 'security' your domain name and 'user-account' an existent domain username? If not, can you please try a domain or local account?

subhrajeet

Hello,

Yes, here 'security' is 'Domain-name'

User-account is 'subhrajeet.chand'

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

Looks like we are almost stuck. I am close to asking Technical Support to create a Support Case for your issue but here's last attempt.

I understand that you are having issues authenticating with your Coresight server but the mobile App on iPhone is starting.

Have you tried restarting the App?

Have you tried restarting your iPhone?

If this doesn't work we need to rely on the error log which is created by the Coresight app for iPhone. We currently store error logs on each device with PI Coresight installed. Within Coresight, you can navigate to the error logs tab by clicking on the wrench icon you will be taken to the services and tools tab of the Coresight app. Click on send error log and it will bring up a new email message that will have the logs attached.

subhrajeet

Hello,

I have not configuredPI server authentication for PI Coresight either through WIS or through a PI Trust. That is the reason, I think, I am not able to connect to PI server in the iPhone Coresight app. (Only able to access in internet)

As you know:

1. I access the server through my Windows account through vpn. Also, I am not the Admin of server.

2. As I installed Coresight in the server, I am in Coresight admin group.

3. The PI server, AF server, SQL server and Coresight exist in the same server machine.

4. I have not created the 'Coresight domain account'. I didnot touch the PI server for any Trust or Mapping creation.

5. I only mapped the required servers in the Coresight admin page and that it.

What should I do?

Is it needed to create 'Coresight domain account' for PI Mapping or PI Trust creation ?

7446.coresight-admin-page.jpg

Regards,

Subhrajeet

Hello Subhrajeet,

iPhone and iPad app need to be set up with credentials that are supposed being used for the authentication with the PI Coresight Server. The screenshot you uploaded shows your domain account as current user. The same account should as well work whith the iPad / iPhone app, as long as the credentials can be authenticated by the server hosting your PI Coresight installation. This is done by having "NT Authority\Authenticated Users" within "PI Coresight Users" group. If authentication with your domain account is generally working but not with the iPad / iPhone app, there must be a reason that the credentials cannot be verified. One thing that I can think of would be a firewall rule that e.g. blocks authentication requests when the machine they come from is not a member of the domain. This would be the case for iPad and iPhone because you cannot join these devices to a Windows domain - at least not as far as I know. However, you should be able to verify the behavior by accessing your PI Coresight installation from a Windows PC outside your company network, somewhere on the internet. For sure you must not be connected to your company network via VPN.

Is there a specific observation you made which makes you believe the authentication issue is between PI Coresight and the PI System? The authentication between PI Coresight and PI AF Server is based on Windows Integrated Security; the one between PI Coresight and the PI Data Archive (PI Server) is either a PI trust or Windows Integrated Security (PI Mapping).

Subhrajeet Chand

What should I do?

Have you thought about sending an email with the error logs from your iPhone?

Hello Subhrajeet,

OSIsoft Learning team has prepared a VM template with all the content available like e.g. the existing AF Databases to allow users to concentrate on exercises rather than installing software and creating content. Whenever you launch the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), a copy of the template is taken for you. When working with the VLE, you are working with this copy. You can modify and restart the machine and will still see your modifications. However, if you leave the machine alone, it will be taken down after a few hours of idle time. I am not 100% sure but believe that all modifications you've made will become lost and next time you launch the VLE a fresh copy will be taken from the template.

I understand that this is not ideal for the presentation you are planning but giving presentation isn't the intention of the VLE. The intention is learning.

How about setting up your own installation for the presentation or run a demo with the content existent within the VLE?