3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 4:11 PM by Asle Frantzen

ProcessBook AddIn VS projects and Installers/Setup projects?

Asle Frantzen

I'm banging my head against the wall with the following situation:

A dataset addin for ProcessBook in Visual Studio (following an old learning lab solution) works when I debug it, but not when I'm trying to have InstallShield LE install it.

The only thing I can see is needed for an addin to be registered is (1) adding information to the registry, and (2) placing the dll file somewhere ProcessBook can reach it. The solution project from the Learning Lab puts the dll file inside the ProcessBook directory, and the registry information being added is this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PISystem\PI - ProcessBook\Addins\OSIsoft.PB.RandomDataset.Connect]
      "Description"="Random Dataset "
      "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
      "FriendlyName"="Random Dataset"

In Visual Studio 2010 (last release including Microsoft's own Setup projects) I had an installer which pretty much just took the 'primary output' from my project and put it inside a custom installation dir, and then put the necessary registry information in. This worked fine, but the thing I can't seem to find out is how ProcessBook would know which directory that would be? In my case, the install dir would be C:\Program files (x86)\Amitec - so how would ProcessBook know that in order to load information found in the Addins section of the registry, it should look for dll files inside C:\Program files (x86)\Amitec?

This is the link which seems to be missing, after I've migrated my MS Setup project to an InstallShield LE project (using the migration wizard). The registry information is where it should be, the files (primary output) are put inside the installation folder - so I don't see any other thing I could configure here. But when I open ProcessBook it just says it can't find the addin, and wants to remove it from the registry. 

I've checked the PATH variable to see if there was anything added there (in a production server where the addin is installed today) but no luck.

The only uncertainty here is that I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but there shouldn't be any major difference in installing software in the two systems.

I'll continue the debugging, but if anyone have any info or things to try - let me know! Where would ProcessBook look for dll's / addins (other than the PIPC\ProcessBook folder, if even possible...

• Re: ProcessBook AddIn VS projects and Installers/Setup projects?
          dhollebeek

The registry entry isn't a path, it's a registered COM object interface.  Wow6432Node is the equivalent of c:\Program Files (x86).  Of course, this all changes on a 32-bit computer.  I would check 2 things:  Run regasm.exe on your add in, it can be found in c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727.  There's a .net 4.0 version of it too, but the 2.0 version works just fine.  The second (less likely) thing I would check is that MS runtimes are installed for your version of the compiler.  The ProcessBook installs the runtimes for VS 2008.  It's likely you are using a more recent compiler ...

:D