28 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 8:05 PM by tgreen

Reference AF Attribute tags in ACE

tgreen

Hi,

Is there a good way to reference values of other AF tags within ACE?  I'm looking to get Tag.Value from another tag not declared in the ACE Wizard as these tags may or moy not exist (handling this in logic already).  If I just declare these in the Wizard, the scripts will fail when the tag is non-existent.

I can get the path of the current context pretty easily, but I need a little help with this one

Thanks in advance!!

• Re: Reference AF Attribute tags in ACE

Hi Trevor,

PI ACE uses PI Module Database and doesn't know about Assets, Element and Attributes. If you are not certain if a PI Point / AF Attribute exists, I suggest using AF SDK (or PI SDK) and try loading it. For sure you need to implement exception handling in case the queried resource does indeed not exist.

tgreen

That sounds like a good plan.  Can you point me to some info on how to implement this please?

tgreen

I've tried this:

vcampus.osisoft.com/.../using-the-pi-af-sdk-from-pi-ace.aspx

but I seem to get a whole lot of errors and things fall apart

I've added in the references for PISDK and AFSDK

I'm using .net if that helps point me to the right place

Hello Trevor,

Andreas' blog post about Using the PI AF SDK from PI ACE is a good resource. Can you post what's giving you errors and even more important what these errors are?

Also, what versions of PI SDK / AF SDK are you using? What's your development environment?

tgreen

The SDK versions I have are (From Assemblies):

OsiSoft.AFSDK, Version 2.0.0.0, File Version 2.5.2.5396

OsiSoft.PISDK, Version 1.4.0.0, File Version 1.4.2.445

I started a clean project, added one Alias as an input and one alias as an output

Set the ACECalculations Sub to Output.Value = Input.Value

Debug, test - works

I added in the OsiSoft.AFSDK and OsiSoft.PISDK

Debug and as soon as I go to Debug, I get these warnings below.  Opening the errors, I get 107 errors (txt file attached) in the Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets

Still able to test and have output = input though

I'll keep stepping through this process and see where this goes

Warning 3 The primary reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" which could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v2.0". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089". C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1635 5 Testing

Warning 5 The primary reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "System.IdentityModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" which could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v2.0". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "System.IdentityModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089". C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1635 5 Testing

Warning 6 The primary reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "System.IdentityModel.Selectors, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" which could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v2.0". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "System.IdentityModel.Selectors, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089". C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1635 5 Testing

Warning 1 The primary reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" which could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v2.0". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089". C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1635 5 Testing

Warning 2 The primary reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" which could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v2.0". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089". C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1635 5 Testing

Warning 4 The primary reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the framework assembly "WindowsBase, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" which could not be resolved in the currently targeted framework. ".NETFramework,Version=v2.0". To resolve this problem, either remove the reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6238be57836698e6, processorArchitecture=MSIL" or retarget your application to a framework version which contains "WindowsBase, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35". C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1635 5 Testing

tgreen

redid this test and I get those warnings after I add the AFSDK.  Added the PISDK first, debug, test - no issues.  Added the AFSDK, debug - issues (still tests OK)

tgreen

Just realized the compile wasn't set to .NET 4.0

Set it to 4.0 (modified the xml as well), all those warnings went away, but now the debug fails to load

Debugging ACE Module: PIACE.Testing.Test

Loading assembly...

Failed to load assembly.

Hit any key to continue.

also tried changing the AFSDK to the version 4.0.0.0, File Version 2.5.2.5396

removed both SDKs and the debug still won't run.  Must be something it doesn't like about 'net 4.0

I'll see if that can be resolved

Hello Trevor,

The recent release of PI ACE is 2010 R2 SP1 from August 2011. I can imagine that issues may be because of the .NET Framework version you are compiling against. The fact that many errors went away after setting the .NET Framework target to 4.0 indicates your AF SDK reference might go to the RDA version. AF SDK 2.5 ships with 2 set of libraries, a legacy one (%PIHOME%\AF\PublicAssemblies\OSIsoft.AFSDK.dll) and the RDA version ((%PIHOME%\AF\PublicAssemblies\4.0\OSIsoft.AFSDK.dll) which is compiled against .NET Framework 4.0 with AF SDK 2.5. Possibly PI ACE Wizard has an issue with this constellation. Can you try the legacy version and revert back to the .NET Framework target?

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hi Trevor,

As you are compiling against .NET 4, please read this KB article from OSIsoft TechSupport website in order to find out if you have edited the .config file properly for this .NET version.

Hope this helps!

tgreen

@ Marcos

I used that article a while back when creating the config file.  I did find that it had .txt added to the end (Windows was hiding known extensions).  Removed that and checked the contents again, all was as it should be.  I know one thing that I want to change eventually (this is a test server) is the ACE module got installed as a 32 bit application on a 64 bit machine (nothing for an ACE directory in the 64 bit PIPC.  I have a suspicion that this is causing me grief as well since everything else is installed as 64 bit (PI, AF, ect)

one thing I'm uncertain of is from that article:

4. Test if the .config file is being loaded properly by debugging a PI ACE calculation in Visual Studio

I apply this in VS and I don't see the messages at all regardless of which .Net version I choose.  Not sure why

tgreen

Ok, so I'm at this point:

I can get connection to the MDB structure (using .Net 3.5 still):

Dim Context As String
                                                  Dim myContext As PISDK.PIModule
                                                  Context = PIACENetInternalFunctions.PIACEMDBFunctions.GetContextName(Name)

myContext = PIACEBIFunctions.GetPIModuleFromPath(Context)

'this works
                                                  Dim MyName As String = myContext.PIProperties("Daily Run Time").Name.ToString

'this works
                                                  Dim MyVal As Double = myContext.PIProperties("Daily Run Time").Value

'this works
                                                  Dim MyName2 As String = myContext.PIAliases("TT").Name.ToString

'******************* this does not work ************************
                                                  Dim MyVal2 As String = myContext.PIAliases("TT").Value

'Obviously 'Value is not available via .PIAliases, but I've used it here to illustrate the concept
                                                  'My guess is that I need to use .Database with some datetime query, but I'm uncertain

Any Ideas?

Hello Trevor,

Using PI MDB Aliases in PI ACE is a common thing to set the reference to a PI Point and at the same time make the PI ACE Module applicable to multiple contexts. Just to be sure you are aware of this concept, can you please read through PI ACE 2010 R2 User Guide -> Example 3 - Write Once, Apply to Many.

If this is not what you are trying to do, could you please explain your use case? 

Hello again Trevor,

This other thread can help you with your question on how to read a value of a PI tag referenced with a PI Alias.

tgreen

Thanks for the reply/info Gregor!

I looked through that Example 3, not much I wasn't aware of.  the other thread did get me the .Value though

Looks like this so far

Public Class Test
                                                                  Inherits PIACENetClassModule
                                                                  Private FIT As PIACEPoint
                                                                  Private CorrectFlow As PIACEPoint

'added by me
                                                                  Private TT As PIACEPoint

Public Overrides Sub ACECalculations()

Dim myContext As PISDK.PIModule

myContext = PIACEBIFunctions.GetPIModuleFromPath(Context)

MsgBox(myContext.PIAliases("TT").DataSource.Data.Snapshot.Value)

End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub InitializePIACEPoints()
                                                                   CorrectFlow = GetPIACEPoint("CorrectFlow")
                                                                      FIT = GetPIACEPoint("FIT")
                                                                  End Sub

End Class

This get's the current value (or at least it appears to get that)

What I need to return is the value based on the timestamp used by FIT (or close approximation actually as the TS won't line up perfectly)

The reason for this is in case they decide to use the ACE recalculation functionality, I want to make certain they reference the correct temperature for the given iteration of the calculation

Would I be correct to assume that because we are context based, the 'snapshot' if grabbing the previous known value based on the Input's timestamp?

Also,

I need to gather the following properties of this Tag alias:

• EU (EngUnits?)
                                                              • Zero
                                                              • Span
                                                              • Point's current timestamp
                                                              Not really seeing where I grab that from, but perhaps something alog these lines?
                                                              myContext.PIAliases("TT").DataSource.Data.Snapshot.ValueAttributes.Item("zero")
                                                              This returns "Name not found in collection: zero", But I'm looking at the PI SDK Utility and I see the values I want to get and 'zero' does exist
                                                                  skwan

Trevor:

What are you trying to calculate?

tgreen

I'm correcting flow values to standard pressure and or temp (based on configuration of CTL, CPL, CTPL)

So I always have an input flow rate, and output flow rate and  {input temperature, input pressure or both}

All tags are built on PI, referenced in to AF templates, but the tags do not always exist

I assume trying to reference tags that don't exist in ACE will only create issues and is not a best practice, therefore I want to refer to the input and output flows by using the Wizards setup (as they are always present) and then the tags for temp and pressure depending on the configuration of the particular meter.  Only go look for those points if they are needed for the calculation

tgreen

FYI, this returns a '0'

MsgBox(myContext.PIAliases("TT").DataSource.Data.Snapshot.ValueAttributes.Count)

and this returns a empty msgbox:

MsgBox(myContext.PIAliases("TT").DataSource.Data.Snapshot.ValueAttributes.DumpToString)

Not sure what I'm missing here

tgreen

I'm able to get the timestamp like so (converted to UTC date format):

Dim Timestamp As Date

Timestamp = Date.FromOADate(myContext.PIAliases("TT").DataSource.Data.Snapshot.TimeStamp.UTCSeconds / (86400) + 25569)

MsgBox(Timestamp)

so now I just need to extract the EU, Zero and Span somehow

tgreen

I think I'm at a loss here as I can't seem to get the references working for the engineering units, span and zero.  It's probably something simple I'm missing here, but I can't quite nail it down

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Trevor,

PI ACE offers built in functionality that covers many of the questions you have related to your project. E.g. there is a mechanism allowing you to handle recalculations. The IsRecalculating property tells allows you to verify inside your code if the calculation was triggered by a recalculation event. For sure it's also easy to iterate through events by using PrevEvent and NextEvent as well as retrieving a PI tags value at a specific Time.

I am thinking about providing an example on how to implement a recalculation and another one about how to retrieve PI tag attributes but this will take me some time. For now please consider looking more detailed into PI ACE User Guide. Another good resource are the PI ACE related videos at OSIsoft Youtube learning channel.

tgreen

Yup, I've tried out the recalculation function from ACE. I did a whole day at 1 second my first time. That took a while!

It's not the recalculation function  need help with though. I want to return the EU, zero and span. I figured out how to get the valve and time.  I just can figure it out and no luck finding any documents on these functions. ACE manual doesn't really get in to this

Dan Fishman

There are EU, Zero and Span methods of PIACEPoint.

For a list of methods and properties check out the PIACEReference.chm found in C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\ACE\Help.

tgreen

@Dan,

Ya, I've looked through that a bit.  For normal referencing (loading up input/output tags via the wizard) that all works fine

My issue is that I'm attempting to reference tags in AF that are not configured via the ACE wizard

Normally you'd just hit up Tagname.EU, Tagname.zero, Tagname.span.  In my case I can't simply reference them like that.  I did finally figure out how to get in to the attributes.  I wouldn't mind some comments to this to make sure I'm not going about this the wrong way.  I haven't tried this with things such as the recalculations ect.

Any comments or direction would be most appreciated.  Below is my ACE code I put together in my test module

Dim myContext As PISDK.PIModule = PIACEBIFunctions.GetPIModuleFromPath(Context)
                                                                                                          Dim TagLookup As String = "TT"

Dim pitag As PISDK.PIPoint = myContext.PIAliases(TagLookup).DataSource
                                                                                                          Dim MyVal As Double = pitag.Data.Snapshot.Value
                                                                                                          Dim MyTime As Date = Date.FromOADate(myContext.PIAliases(TagLookup).DataSource.Data.Snapshot.TimeStamp.UTCSeconds / (86400) + 25569)
                                                                                                          Dim MyEU As String = pitag.PointAttributes.GetAttributes.Item("EngUnits").Value
                                                                                                          Dim MyZero As Double = pitag.PointAttributes.GetAttributes.Item("Zero").Value
                                                                                                          Dim MySpan As Double = pitag.PointAttributes.GetAttributes.Item("Span").Value
                                                                                                          Dim PassString As String
                                                                                                          PassString = Context & vbCr _
                                                                                                                 & "Tagname: " & TagLookup & vbCr _
                                                                                                                 & "Current Value = " & MyVal & " " & MyEU & vbCr _
                                                                                                                 & "Timestamp = " & MyTime & vbCr _
                                                                                                                 & "Zero: " & MyZero & vbCr _
                                                                                                                 & "Span: " & MySpan

My.Computer.Clipboard.Clear()
                                                                                                          My.Computer.Clipboard.SetText(PassString)
                                                                                                          MsgBox(PassString)

I like to place structured MsgBox code to the clipboard for seeing the info as well as easy pasting, obviously that is unnecessary for this to work though!

this yields the following

\\WIN-A03306BE681\Process Meters\Gas (Produced)\MTR0010
                                                                                                  Tagname: TT
                                                                                                  Current Value = -0.457658797502518 °C
                                                                                                  Timestamp = 4/29/2014 2:46:00 PM
                                                                                                  Zero: -50
                                                                                                  Span: 100

So, I have what I need.  I'm just unfamiliar with all the ins and outs of PI/ACE/AF/...... that I don't know if this is a good method or not and if this will work for now but cause me a headache later!

:)

Dan Fishman

That should work fine.  Note, if you are changing the tag attributes, the local PI SDK caches these attributes so it will not pick up PI Point attribute changes.  You can use the  PI SDK IRefresh.Refresh method to updated the cache if needed.  Often these attributes do not change so this is unlikely to be an issue.

tgreen

Good to know. A couple of questions then to finish this off:

This looks like it's multiple calls to PI, is there perhaps a more efficient way to do this?

When performing a recalculation, will the 'snapshot' Tag values follow suit with the time frames used with the context? 

How can I tell if a different EU, Zero or Span were referenced upon recalculation (situation where things were changed days ago for example)? 

Thanks! 

Dan Fishman

The snapshot is always the most current value in the PI Snapshot table so this probably isn't what you are looking for.  I believe you want want use PIpoint.Data.Archvalue(time range) to obtain the archived value.

I think you are correct.Looking at the SDK help I see GetSelectedAttributes Method of the PointAttributes and will reduce the number of trips to the PI Server.  You will not be able to pick up the old EU, Zero, or Span if they have changed as you will always get the most current configuration.  What exactly is your use case? These attributes typically are not changed often.

Dan

tgreen

Sounds like I'm not quite done yet!  I will start looking in to that right now.  Appreciate that!!!

As for the case, yes they typically don't change.  It would be poor judgement on my part to assume they never change.  The zero/span are used here to indicate the upper and lower range of a transmitter, data is brought in via OPC, so the zero/span are not really relevant.  These can change if the end device is replaced or re-ranged to accommodate process needs,m albeit VERY unlikely.  I use these to flag out rage issues.  This isn't a mission critical part, but units are as I convert them to imperial to comply with a 3rd party dll I'm using.  If i don't convert properly, then I don't calculate properly.  I just don't like holes in my code, that's all

tgreen

@Gregor

I've found both if and the legacy one is the one I've always been using

I load the legacy (with .Net 2.0), I get the warning list, Debug functions, Testing functions

I load the legacy (with .Net 3.5), No Warnings, Debug functions, Testing functions

I load the legacy (with .Net 4.0), No Warnings, Debug does not function, Testing functions

If I try the RDA version with .Net 4.0, Debug doesn't load as I'm fairly certain there's an issue around 4.0 on my setup. 

For this issue, I'll continue working with it using 3.5 (unless that is going to be an issue that is!)

At least I'll be able to get the proof of concept functioning with 3.5