6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 3:36 PM by Gregor

Datalink server error : no dns entries exist for host localhost

fsaab

Hello,

I am facing an issue which is : getting 'no dns entries exist for host localhost' in the cells of excel reports where i have datalink function.The excel report are being opened in sharepoint 2010 excel web access web part.

This is happening on one of the WFE(web front end) , let us name it WFE2 which is joining WFE1 in a SharePoint farm.On WFE1 the reports are opening and shwing results where there is datalink functions.

doing some google , i got advised to add 127.0.0.1 localhost to the host file.i did this but still the same error.

I think the problem is happening when excel calculation services is calling datalink server.i think the link of datalink server is not reachable(for IIS issues or networkign DNS issues).can i define the link of excel datalink server that is called by excel calculation services using IP.

• Re: Datalink server error : no dns entries exist for host localhost

Hello Francois,

You have posted the same question at ProcessBook/ActiveView and Microsoft Office Development forum. Please don't worry if this happens again since we are able to move a thread where we believe it belongs to. With regards to your question I am not yet sure if it would be a better fit into PI System Integration or PI Web Parts and PI Coresight forum. So let's continue discussing your issue with this thread and please allow me deleting the The specified item was not found. one.

One possible explanation for your issue that I can think of would be that WFE1 is your PI Server host referenced as 'Localhost' in the known servers table (KST) but a brief research within Technical Support database also returned other possible reasons. Please open PI SDK Utility -> Connections on WFE1 and see how your PI Server is referenced. Please check if either the connection name or the network node for the connection refers 'Localhost' or 127.0.0.1. If this is the case, please set the network node entry to the hostname of your PI Server node or its IP address, save the changes and perform an IISReset for the application pool hosting the SharePoint. You will also have to verify the references in your Excel sheet.

If this doesn't work or if you need assistance, I suggest working with Technical Support. Please let us know if you want to be contacted by a Technical Support Engineer. 

fsaab

Hello Gregor,

Thanks for your reply.the PI server is not wfe1 or wfe2 It is some other server so it is not referenced as localhost/127.0.0.1.There should be some other reason behind this error.

Every other webpart communicating with PI is working on WFE2, only excel reports that contains PI datalink functions are suffering.

Hello Francois,

The issue might be with Windows Security across trusted domains. Are involved machines member of different domains?

Because issues like the one you are experiencing require some troubleshooting, optimally involving a remote session, I've requested to open Technical Support ticket for you. You should be contacted by a Technical Support Engineer soon.

fsaab

Hello Gregor,

Thanks for opening a technical support ticket.

The machines are in same domain.

Just a reminder that WFE1 is working perfect,on  WFE2  only excel cells that are calling datalink server(i mean UDF) are showing this error.

i did a further google, i found that :

1-this error is normally happening because of a call to net.tcp://localhost so the solution was to change the net.tcp://localhost to something else.

social.msdn.microsoft.com/.../about-wcf-impersonation

2-also i had the chance to see that the cell in excel is calling net.tcp://localhost:5452/osisoft/pidatalink/service

so i am connecting between the 2 points, and maybe the excel calculation services is not able to call the datalink server using net.tcp://localhost for some reason.

fsaab

Also i am getting the below warning in Event viewer.warning 6467 excel calculation services:

An exception occurred in a user-defined function.

Assembly=OSIsoft.PIDataLink.Server, Version=4.0.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c3309f0734ba2805, class=OSIsoft.PIDataLink.Server.DataLinkUDF, function name=Dispose, exception text='System.ServiceModel.CommunicationObjectFaultedException: The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.

Server stack trace:

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Close(TimeSpan timeout)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at System.ServiceModel.ICommunicationObject.Close()

at OSIsoft.PIDataLink.Server.DataLinkUDF.Dispose(Boolean disposing)

at OSIsoft.PIDataLink.Server.DataLinkUDF.Dispose()

at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Addins.SessionUdfManager.Dispose()'