6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 7:07 PM by PaulNoone

PI System Managment Tool: Message Logs not displayed

martin.klauck

When I open PI System Management tool as Administrator and try to open Operation->Message Logs I get the error message in the Session Record window:

There was an error loading the plugin Message Logs. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (CreateAndWireUpPlugin)

Had someone a similar issue? I have another server where everything works fine.

Thanks Martin

• Re: PI System Managment Tool: Message Logs not displayed

Hello Martin,

This looks to me as if the plug-in is missing or you don't have access to it. Please see if you can find OSIsoft.SMT.Plugins.PIMessageLogViewer.dll in %PIHOME%\SMT3

If the file is there, please check if the user logged on has appropriate permissions to the folder and file.

In case the file is missing, please try a repair of PI SMT installation through "Programs and Features" dialog. If this doesn't work, please remove the installation and install PI SMT package again.

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Martin,

After some research, I have found out that you might need to repair the PI SDK as well in order to fix this problem. I would take this opportunity to upgrade the PI SMT and PI SDK from that computer. Do you know if it has the most recent versions of these products installed?

martin.klauck

Thanks for your answers.

I checked the file is existing, user has access (the user is Administrator) and repaired and reinstalled the SMT tool. This did not fix my problem.

Installed are the SP1 packages. But I saw there is the x86 and x64 version of the SDK installed. I need to test to uninstall the X64 package and reinstall the x86 SDK. Unfortunately one of our components uses the x86 drivers.

I will write an update when I tried this

Best

Martin

asorokina

Martin,

Please, don't forget to reinstall x64bit PI SDK after uninstalling it. On 64bit machine, both x86 and x64 bit versions of PI SDK should be installed.

Regarding "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", there was a similar case in Tech Support, where the issue was related regional settings.

Try the following to fix the issue:

-Change machine regional settings to English (US)

-Open PI SMT and Message log plug in

-Change the regional settings back to the original value and open PI SMT to confirm the issue is gone.

If it doesn't help, I strongly recommend you to contact our Tech Support team.

To reduce the time of investigations, you can send them a Message log from your machine after running PI SMT in verbose mode.

In verbose mode it will generate more information in the message log which you can access with command line tool, pigetmsg.

First, open command prompt and run the following:

cd /d %pihome%\SMT3

SMTHost.exe -verbose

In PI SMT open PI Messages plugin and let it fail. Then in the command prompt run the following:

cd /d %pihome64%adm

pigetmsg -st *-10m -et * > MessageLog.txt

More information about pigetmsg utility can be found in How to deal with PI Message Logs

Kind regards,

Anna

3 of 3 people found this helpful