4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 8:39 AM by AlistairFrith

Where is my AF custom DR running when called through PIWebServices from Silverlight?

AlistairFrith

I think the subject line says it all really. I have an AF Custom Data Reference, which works fine and which I can debug when it is running in AF System Explorer and in a separate C# application using the AF SDK. However, it is also used by a Silverlight web-application that calls AF through PI Web Services and in this case, something is not working and I need to debug it. I do not know which process to attach my Visual Studio to!

The breakpoints in the AF DR are not hit if I run the Silverlight in the Visual Studio debugger. Neither are they hit if I then attach Visual Studio to the WebDev.WebServer40.exe *32 process.

I understand that the custom Data Reference runs in the client but in this case I cannot figure out which process 'the client' is!

Thanks in advance,

--- Alistair.

• Re: Where is my AF custom DR running when called through PIWebServices from Silverlight?
          Roger Palmen

Short: In the application pool used by the PI WebServices.

Long: The DR is run and resolved at the location where the AFSDK is invoked. Custom DR DLL's are streamed from the server to the client on demand. This also has implications for your architecture: if you reference an external data source (e.g. Table Lookup) all locations where the AFSDK can be used, must be able to use and connect to the external data source.

• Re: Where is my AF custom DR running when called through PIWebServices from Silverlight?
              AlistairFrith

Thanks,

Looking at IIS Manager on the remote Application Server, I find PIWebServices in the Application Pools. So presumably this is where you mean. Visual Studio is not installed on there so I have downloaded the Visual Studio Remote Debugging Tools and installed them on that server, started them and connected to it. I then found the W3WP process and attached to that. However, when I ask for data from my custom Data Reference the breakpoints in the code are still not enabled, let alone hit. At the risk of sounding stupid, what else do I need to do?!

One thing that occurs to me: the DR is installed using the OSI supplied AF RegPlugin.exe tool. Does this also install the symbols so they can be made available to the client application when it calls the DR?

--- Alistair.