6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 3:37 PM by ldieffenbach

Displaying PI data to end users

jlrichards1979

I'm currently displaying PDI's via ActiveX but was wondering how others are displaying PI data to its end users.  Any assistance you could offer is appreciated.

• Re: Displaying PI data to end users
          Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hi Jeremy,

There are a lot of different  ways for you to display your data. The ones I have in mind at the moment:

• PI ProcessBook
          • Excel (PI DataLink)
          • SharePoint (PI Web Parts)
          • PI Coresight
          • Custom Windows Form Application (PI AF SDK)
          • Custom Windows Presentation Foundation (PI AF SDK)
          • Custom ASP.NET Web Application  (PI AF SDK)
          • Custom Java Application (PI JDBC)
          • Custom Android/iOS/Windows Phone App (PI Web API)
          • Custom HTML5/JavaScript  web pages (PI Web API)

It is good to point out that our new product PI Web API will let you integrate the PI System with almost any platform/programmatic language.

Hope this helps!

jlrichards1979

Thanks for the reply Marcos.  Have you had any experience with adding PI's trending capability to ICONICS?  We are currently using a combination of PI and ICONICS.  I would prefer to use PI's trending for both applications.

Can you describe the kind of issues you running into? What is lacking either in PI or in Iconics?

jlrichards1979

I have a client who would like to take the Trending capabilities in PI and display that data in ICONICS via an ActiveX control.  Is this possible?

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hey Jeremy,

Yes, we have. The product is called PI Active View which is an Active X control able to show displays PDI developed in PI ProcessBook. If ICONICS supports ActiveX, this product would be useful for you. Remember that PI Active View should be installed on every client machine.

Hope this helps!

ldieffenbach

Hi there, Jeremy,

A couple notes to add to the discussion above.

As I'm sure you know, ActiveX is an older technology, but it may be the case that ICONICS doesn't support any other integration mechanism (I don't know for sure). While PI ActiveView is certainly an option for providing ActiveX support, and many of our customers use it for the kind of scenario you describe, it is not the most secure technology currently available. Many of our customers use CITRIX-like deployments to work around the need to have PI ActiveView installed locally everywhere you want to use it.

In case there are other options for integrating with ICONICS, here is some information on other options:

PI Coresight 2014 will provide the ability to show displays created in PI ProcessBook using HTML5/javascript, which means that you'd only need a compatible web browser to see them. PI Coresight itself, in its currently available release, is also a browser-based trending tool. However, there is not much formatting control, especially in terms of colors, so some customers have refrained from going that direction. In addition, the current authoring experience currently has a dependency on Silverlight, which limits the browsers that can be used, although the team is working to replace this dependency (after the 2014 release).

PI Coresight 2014 is expected sometime this summer.