7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 7:42 AM by gmoffett

Windows Services monitoring through PI Tags

paroda

I wish to monitor windows services on other servers and would like to configure alerts if any service is stopped

e.g. Oracle, SQL Server Agent services

How to configure such a tag?

• Re: Windows Services monitoring through PI Tags
          mhamel

@Pradyumna: You have essentially 2 approaches. You can use the PI TCP Response interface or the PIPerfmon interface to track the status of your services. Both are part of the MCH Health Monitor interface package that comes with the PI System. You can find the package easily in the download center. You'll find the documentation on how to configure the tags to capture the state/performance counter of your services.

Thereafter, you'll need to decide how do you report your alerts. Several solutions are possible such as:

• Performance Equation with a visual dashboard (made with PI Coresight, PI ProcessBook, etc.)
          • PI ACE with a visual dashboard (made with PI Coresight, PI ProcessBook, etc.)
          • PI Notifications with the use of delivery channel to send alerts directly
          • PI Asset-Based Analytics (a.k.a Abacus) generating event frames for any alerts. A visual dashboard can be created to display the alerts.
          • etc.

Does it answer your question? 

paroda

Hi  Mathieu,

Thanks for your response.

But am still unable to config the required PI Tags.

Requirement: (Heartbeat) Tags for (Windows Server 2008 OS) services like SQL Server Instance, Agent, Oracle etc.

I checked PIPerfmon interface but it shows options same as Windows PerfMon,

i.e. there is an option to check health of any running process (as in Task Manager >> Processes)

but not  the Services.

Regarding, the alert part, I can configure via PI System Explorer >> Notifications, once I am able to configure the PI tags.

Hello Pradyumna,

When a service becomes started a corresponding process will be created in memory. You do not monitor services but process counters. For a heartbeat you can use the Elapsed Time counter of a process. In case the service is not running, the correspondent tag serviced by PI Performance Monitor interface will report "I/O Timeout" like for all other process counters too. This is the behavior if a process cannot be found in memory. The Elapsed Time counter reports the amount of seconds since process (service) start. A stale Elapsed Time counter indicates a hanging process.

There are ways to query the status of a service e.g. using Get-Service PowerShell command but this just gives you the information showing within services console (services.msc). To get detailed information, please monitor the process.