10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 6:06 PM by pisupportduke

Fixed reference data from AF in ProcessBook

pisupportduke

For an XY plot in ProcessBook, I can load the time series data from AF and display it without issue.

Is there any way to load non-time series reference data from AF?

For example, a wind turbine has a power output over time contrasted to the wind speed over time. The manufacturer specifies what the power should be as a function of wind speed. The expected power is referential, but not time series.

• Re: Fixed reference data from AF in ProcessBook
          skwan

Alex

You want yo plot expected vs. actual over a defined time period??

pisupportduke

Yes, the actual is easily derived from PI; the expected is the manufacturers curve - fixed with no time reference.

Roger Palmen

If the expected power is a function of wind speed, and wind speed varies over time, doesn't that make expected power a function of speed too?

Anyhow, If the expected power vs wind speed is a lookup table, AF can do that for you easily. If it's a formula, it might be possible using the functions of the AF Formula DataReference, Abacus, or a custom DR. Then you can trend actual output vs expected output.

pisupportduke

Yes, expected power is a function of windspeed and the data can be stored in an AF table. My question is: how can I access the reference data in the AF table to add it to an x-y plot in ProcessBook? I have created a ProcessBook with VBA code that loads the reference data from an Access database, but that is not an optimal solution. It relies on being able to dynamically create the ODBC connection to the Access database if the user has not used the display previously. And, with tightened security, not all users can dynamically create ODBC connections.

Hello Alex,

The solution suggested by Roger involves PI AF. You would configure a lookup table with the data, one or more AF Elements and Attributes pointing to a column of the lookup table. If data treatment is needed, please look into the options mentioned by Roger. When accessing the data with ProcessBook, you would just refer AF Attributes.

I suggest you watching some videos at OSIsoft Learning Channel at Youtube e.g. Configure the table lookup data reference. v2010

pisupportduke

I'm not explaing myself well.

The x-y plot needs to show time series data - power as a function of wind speed; the wind speed will vary from 0 m/s to 25 m/s.

Overlaid on that x-y plot is a second x-y plot that shows theoretical power as a function of wind speed.

If I add an attribute in AF to get the expected power based on the archival wind speed, it is an overload of access on the AF table.

What I would like is to be able to simply plot the AF reference table as a non time series data; one x-y plot can be set to be transparent allowing them both to be seen.

skwan

Alex:

I mocked something up on my test system.  Here's what you need to do.

1) Create an AF table for your Expected Power vs. Wind Speed.  On my test system, it's Flow Rate vs. Expected Power Draw.  You'll have to make the transition from one to the other yourself .  Here's what it looks like:

3716.AFTable.png

2) in my AF hierarchy, I already have an attribute that is a PI Point Data Reference to actual "Flow Rate" and actual "Power Draw".  Now I create another attribute to a Table Lookup Data Reference.

4048.AFAttributes.png

3) The configuration of "Expected Power Draw" (Table Lookup DR) is this.  Note I'm interpolating the table lookup.  So what this is doing is a table lookup of Expected Power Draw, based on the actual value of the "Feed Rate" attribute.

4075.TableConfig.png

4) Once I have this configuration, I can go to ProcessBook and perform a X-Y plot with X = Feed Rate, Y1 = Power Draw and Y2 = Expected Power Draw

5826.PB.png

Note you'll need to select AF2 data set and I chose to select "Match or Previous".  This is what the resultant plot looks like.  Please excuse the somewhat random data, but the expected power curve (in green) is pretty typical as it's from a table lookup.

8512.PB2.png

Hope this helps.

pisupportduke

Steve,

Thank you. I was trying that yesterday as well, but I ran into some issues:

one - volume of data: we are frequently looking at values per minute across a span of time, so over 10,000 data pairs in a week.

two - the attribute used in the where clause of the lookup implies that the attribute will have values across the expected range: 0 to 25 m/s in my case; that is not always the case

three - when trying to pull over 10,000 values from the lookup table, performance is somewhat hampered

Conceptually, it works, but in my environment, it is lacking...

skwan

Alex

two - the attribute used in the where clause of the lookup implies that the attribute will have values across the expected range: 0 to 25 m/s in my case; that is not always the case

Alex
                                          Can I get more clarification on this?  Are you saying that the lookup table only spans the range of 0 - 25 m/s but your actual data goes outside of these bounds?
                                          Also, which version of AF are you using?
                                              pisupportduke

The lookup table spans 0 - 25 m/s; the archived data spans 0 - 25 m/s, but, for a given time period, the actual span may be only 0 - 10 m/s, or, on a windy day, 15 - 25 m/s.As I understand it, since the data from the lookup table is going to use the timestamp of the actual data, then it is possible that the full range of data from the lookup table will not be displayed.

My example follows. The blue dots represent archived data; the black lines represent data from the lookup table.

Preferably, the black curve would be a single flowing curve.

This data represents 1 day; if I increase the range while using the lookup table, ProcessBook takes increasing longer to update (from seconds to minutes). However, if I increase the date range, the curve also gets smoother, so. looking for the best of both worlds.

5153.Curve.jpg