5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 3:27 PM by skwan

Additional sections/tab in PI System Explorer

anghy
      Hi,

I noticed that when we installed PI Notification, Sigmafine etc, there are additional sections/tabs (eg MyPI, Notifications, Contacts, Model Analyses) that are being added to the PI System Explorer, bottom left panel. 

Does the AFSDK allow us to programmatically create this tab?  If yes, what is the function to use?

Thanks.
        • Re: Additional sections/tab in PI System Explorer

Hello Huey Yee,

My understanding is that the PI Notification setup kit installs the PI Notification add-in to PI System Explorer. This said, the appropriate way installing PI Notification add-in would be running PI Notification setup kit.

There is programmatic access to PI Notifications but I have serious doubts AF SDK would allow to programmatically create the PI Notifications tab.

Can you please elaborate about what you like to achieve?

anghy

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  

I am not trying to programmatically create the PI Notifications Tab.

I am just thinking if it is possible to create some programs that uses PI AF as the database and runs the calculation in a separate tab very much like how Sigmafine has its own Model Analyses tab to run the mass balance analysis or PI notification has its own Notifications tab to configure and run the notifications.

Regards,

Huey Yee

Hello Huey Yee,

PI Asset Framework (PI AF) is intended to store custom asset related data but I am unsure if this is what you are asking for. If you intend creating additional objects (tables, views, functions, stored procedures ...) in PIFD Database, the answer must be: Please don't!

PIFD is the (standard) name of the Database created in SQL Server during installation of PI AF 2.x. PIFD holds the business logic of PI AF and hence shouldn't be modified directly. All interactions should go through AF SDK which offers the necessary functionality. We cannot guarantee that custom objects in PIFD would persist a PI AF update. Therefore if you intend creating relational database objects with custom business logic, please create a separate database e.g. inside SQL Server.

I further understand that you would like to create a custom add-in to PI System Explorer, similar to the PI Notifications add-in that is installed separately. I tried to find out if this question was asked and answered before. I found this other thread that you might be interested in but don't see the answer to the question if we support creating custom add-ins to PI System Explorer. I doubt we do but will ask the responsible product manager for his statement.

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Huey Yee,

Instead of adding a new tab to the PI System Explorer, you can develop a custom windows form application taking advantage of the OSIsoft.AF.UI namespace which provides user interface controls, dialogs, and classes for interacting with the AFSDK.

PI AF Developer Tools provides a reference manual for this namespace which might be very useful to you.

As an example of a custom windows form application, please refer to the screenshot below:

2703.sc1.jpg

The objects of this application are very similar to the PI System Explorer. This is explained by the fact that PI System Explorer uses the same libraries to display their user interface controls and other UI objects.

Nevertheless, some objects related to PI Asset Based Analytics are not exposed to be used in a custom application through PI AF SDK as stated by the product manager on this thread.

I am not sure what you are trying to develop exactly, but I hope I have provided you some information to help in your decision.

skwan

Huey Yee Ang

I am not trying to programmatically create the PI Notifications Tab.

I am just thinking if it is possible to create some programs that uses PI AF as the database and runs the calculation in a separate tab very much like how Sigmafine has its own Model Analyses tab to run the mass balance analysis or PI notification has its own Notifications tab to configure and run the notifications.

Hi Huey:

If your goal is to perform calculations, have you installed the latest PI AF 2014?  it has a new functionality we're call Asset Based Analytics that allows you to create, schedule and run analyses using PI Performance Equation syntax.  You can also perform rollups and generate event frames with this new functionality.  Perhaps this is something that would serve your needs without you having to do any custom programming.

As to your question about creating custom plug-ins to PI System Explorer, similar to the "My PI" or "Model Analyses", etc., we don't currently allow you to do that.