4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 8:32 AM by Gregor

PI APS Configuration

punya.sahoo

Hello Guys.

I have 2 environment. Production and Test. And both are connected via PI to PI interface.

Now I would like to install PI Auto Point Sync to configure auto point sync from Prod to Test.

Can someone suggest me where I must install this PI Auto Point Sync either on Prod or Test.

and if someone has any document how to configure the PI Auto Point Sync so that it autmatically sync data from Prod to Test.

Thanks

Punya

• Re: PI APS Configuration

Hello Punya,

PI AutoPointSync (APS) -- User Manual is the general document for PI APS. I've found 2 different PItoPI APS Connector specific manuals of version 1.4.0.0 which is confusing.

PItoPI TCP/IP Interface (PItoPI_APS) APS Connector -- User Manual 
          PI_PItoPI_APS_1.4.0.0.doc

The second manual is more recent. I'll try to figure out which one we consider the "right" one. 

Hello Punya,

I am not sure what I've been looking at before but the content of PItoPI TCP/IP Interface (PItoPI_APS) APS Connector -- User Manual and PI_PItoPI_APS_1.4.0.0.doc are identical. I expect PItoPI TCP/IP Interface (PItoPI_APS) APS Connector -- User Manual will be removed.

punya.sahoo

Thanks guys. I found the manual.

Does anyone one know which PI trust I need to add for APS on both server. I am using PITOPI APS connector for sync from one server to another server.

But now getting error on PIPC.log Below are the error message when I open the log file :

12-Aug-14 03:57:16

PIAPSEngine.exe>PI APS> Beginning Synchronization for interface \\OSI2722\PItoPI1 -> OSI2722.ot-data.local (ps:PITOPI) (id:1) with Connector PItoPI_APS at 12-Aug-14 03:57:16

12-Aug-14 03:57:16

PIAPSEngine.exe>PI APS> PItoPI_APS APSConnector version: 1.4.0.0

12-Aug-14 03:57:54

PIAPSEngine.exe>OSI2722%PItoPI1> Exception _com_error 0x80004003 (Description: (null))(Error Message: Invalid pointer) after checkpoint (SourcePIVersion) in GetInterfaceInfoAndUserConfigSettings

12-Aug-14 03:57:54

PIAPSEngine.exe>PI APS> Error -2147200249: : in GetUpdatedAttributes from call ptrAPSC->GetUpdatedAttributes in PerformASynchronization

12-Aug-14 03:57:55

PIAPSEngine.exe>PI APS>Error> Failed to sync \\OSI2722\PItoPI1 -> OSI2722.ot-data.local with PItoPI_APS

12-Aug-14 03:57:55

PIAPSEngine.exe>PI APS> Ending Synchronization for interface \\OSI2722\PItoPI1 -> OSI2722.ot-data.local with Connector PItoPI_APS at 12-Aug-14 03:57:55

Can someone suggest me what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Punya,

PI APS needs at least read access to the Point Database on the source PI Server and read / write access to the Point Database of the destination PI Server. As far as I recall, PI APS writes its configuration to the Module Database on the destination PI Server. You can use PI SMT -> Security -> Database Security (table PIPOINT and table PIModules) to set the security for the user you like to use with your trust.

Different parameters can be specified with a PI Trust to limit access. The more parameters you specify with a trust, the more secure it becomes but you need to make sure the trust indeed becomes granted to the application you like to trust. I suggest starting simple i.e. by creating a trust just limited by the application name, the name of the remote node or its IP address. When everything is working e.g. PI APS is able to do its job, you may want to add additional parameters to make the trust more secure. Looking at the PI Servers log for incoming connection attempts is very useful because you see what information is submitted and if an existing trust fires or not. To look at the PI Server (PI Message) log continuously, open a command prompt on the PI Server node, navigate to the installation folder (cd /d %PISERVER%) navigate to the ADM subfolder (cd adm) and execute pigetmsg.exe -f

Please let us know if you need assistance configuring a basic trust and we will assign a Technical Support Engineer to support you, optimally in a remote session, if this is possible.