5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 8:19 AM by Asle Frantzen

Grid Control in ProcessBook?

gsorin

Now that Microsoft's Office Web Components technology is deprecated, what would you recommend to use for a data grid embedded in a ProcessBook display?

Current implementation uses the OWC11 spreadsheet object to list events that took place during the trend timeframe. Source of data displayed in the data grid is an external event database (MS SQL Server).

What have you used in your ProcessBook displays?

How successful has your implementation been?

• Re: Grid Control in ProcessBook?

Hello Greg,

I understand you have time series data in a Microsoft SQL Server table. Option # 1 coming into my mind is using PI Interface for RDBMS to store the data into PI tags. Option # 2 could be AF Table Lookup and creating AF Attribute references. With this you have all visualization options that ProcessBook offers out of the box. The Details pane allows displaying the data in a grid.

OWC11 spreadsheet provides Microsoft Excel kind of data visualization. You may want to consider using PI DataLink or PI DataLink Server.

I've once successfully used Microsoft FlexGrid Control within PI ProcessBook but for sure functionality is limited compared to OWC11.

gsorin

Gregor and Asle,

Thanks for the feedback.

Desire is to keep the event data in the native database and not bring it into PI tags.

The ProcessBook display will have a trend showing PI tags and the grid control underneath whose rows represent the event data for the time period that matches the time range on the trend. User can then very easily visualize what happened to cause the shift in the trend data.

Number of rows in the source data for the specified time range are not known ahead of time so the scroll bar in the OWC control is very handy.

FranzK

Hi Greg,

to keep the data in the native Database, you could also use oledb-com-connector. so you can use the tags like normal tags in processbook, but the data remain in the native database. to use the connector your native database needs to be accessible via oledb.

one disadvantage is each tag uses one taglicense even it is only a link.

Asle Frantzen

GSorin

Desire is to keep the event data in the native database and not bring it into PI tags.

Of course, no need to spend tags on something which naturally doesn't belong in a time series database.

GSorin

The ProcessBook display will have a trend showing PI tags and the grid control underneath whose rows represent the event data for the time period that matches the time range on the trend. User can then very easily visualize what happened to cause the shift in the trend data.

This is pretty straight forward to accomplish. Hook on to the trends timerange change event using VBA, and then run a SQL query into the event database with the available StartTime and EndTime parameters from the event. Sometimes you don't want this to be updated automatically (bandwidth or slow UI experiences for instance), and for my more complex queries I usually just put an "Update" button next to the grid.