6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 4:59 AM by skwan

AF SDK prerequisite

PFC5478

Dear Osisoft Support,

I am new in AF SDK but have around two years development experience in PI SDK using .NET.

I know that Osisoft would recommend users to use AF SDK instead of PI SDK for new projects.

I want to know is there any AF SDK Prerequisite over existing PI SDK, e.g. PI AF Server?

P.S. Our team is now using PI Server 2010 and it will be upgraded to PI Server 2012 soon.

Thank you for your kindly reply.

• Re: AF SDK prerequisite

Hello Paul,

Welcome to our little community of PI Geeks

Client side you need to install PI Asset Framework (AF) Client 2014 available at vCampus Download Center in category "PI Asset Framework". For development purpose, please also install PI AF Developer Tools 2014. This small package mainly installs the help file which is a very useful resource and will be located at %PIHOME%\Help.

Before installing any PI Software on a virgin OS, please install OSIsoft Prerequisites Package. vCampus Download Center should have the latest version in category "Prerequisites".

Please note that a personal development PI System is included with your vCampus subscription. We recommend installing and using it for development purpose rather than developing against a production PI System.

I hope this answers your question and doesn't raise too many new ones but please continue asking if you have questions. Happy coding! 

skwan

Paul:

An AF Server is not a prerequisite for using the AF SDK for accessing PI Data Archive beginning with AF 2012.

PFC5478

Hi Gregor and Steve,

Thank you all for your answer.

Yesterday I have installed PI Asset Framework (AF) Client 2014 (v2.6.0.5843) and evaluate whether we can shift from PI SDK to PI AF SDK

for our new project. After installation, there are two set of AF SDK libraries which located at C:\Program Files\PIPC\AF\PublicAssemblies

and C:\Program Files\PIPC\AF\PublicAssemblies\4.0.

Initially, I try the first one in C:\Program Files\PIPC\AF\PublicAssemblies but I found it is not the full version of library (e.g. It do not contain

"OSIsoft.AF.PI.PIServer" class which can be found in the Help File "C:\Program Files\PIPC\HELP\AFSDK.chm". Then I try the second one from

"C:\Program Files\PIPC\AF\PublicAssemblies\4.0" but it gives error as below:

"The primary reference "OSIsoft.AFSDK, Version=4.0.0.0........could not be resolved because it was built against the ".NETFramework, Version=v4.5"

framework. This is a higher version than the currently targeted framework ".NETFramework, Version=v4.0".

Since we are using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 in our company so .NET 4.5 is not supported until our company has upgraded our Visual Studio to VS 2012

or higher (which our company do not yet has plan to do so.). I would like to ask is it possible for OSISoft to recompile the "OSIsoft.AFSDK.dll" and

other related libraries in .Net Framework 4.0 (which is a option setting in Visual Studio 2012/2013, not required to move the project to open in Visual Studio 2010)?

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Regards,

Paul

skwan

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately we cannot do that as some of the core parts of the AF SDK 2014 (v2.6) is optimized for .NET 4.5.  Please consult the release notes for the other requirements.

Another option for you is to use AF SDK 2012 (v2.5) which still does provide the PI namespace and only requires .NET 4.  However, be aware that you would be missing out on the improvements and fixes provided in v2.6.